Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

First Aid Courses

(3 Posts)
clivedyett Thu 23-Jun-11 14:02:56

Hello everyone,
this is my first post so please bear with me. I would just like to emphasise the importance of parents completing and keeping up to date with First Aid Courses. This could save a lot of unnecessary of pain and worry, and you never know when you may need it! Please find a course local to you, run by Experienced teachers!! You will gain skill and confidence, enough to save a life. Good learning to all!

ashamedandconfused Thu 23-Jun-11 17:33:25

I agree, in fact i think more first aid should be taught in schools so that everyone knows what to do. My children have done very basic things at brownies, but i think there should be a certificate they can get at secondary school as an extra.

the number of people who dont know the simple basics, like putting a burn under cold running water (if possible) for a good long time, or like elevating a bleeding limb, is quite shocking.

when I was a teacher we had regular refresher sessions - during one, a member of the public came running into school for help as someone had collapsed with a heart attack at the bus stop outside. I like to think that having someone there who could start CPR straight away helped save a life.

Sirzy Thu 23-Jun-11 18:01:02

I agree with everything said above. There are campaigns to get first aid as part of the national curriculum.

Also, for anyone with children that is looking for an extra curricular activity for them please consider St John Ambulance badgers or cadets. Can provide the vital skills needed to save a life and great fun to!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now