Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Lactose Intolerance

(6 Posts)
limbiloo Wed 22-Jun-11 22:53:10

I have recently found out that my 6 and half year old son has "mild" Lactose Intolerance. The doctors advised me to continue giving him dairy foods as he needs the calcium, but not as much. But i have decided to put him on a Lactose free diet for a few weeks as I have been taking him to the doctors for 2yrs now and have finally got an answer to find that i have to continue giving him the substances which have been causing his problems, and feel that my poor little man's system could do with a rest.
I would be very grateful if there is anyone out there that could give me there personal experience on this and maybe know of any forums that I might be able to go to, to get some help.

bettythebuilder Wed 22-Jun-11 23:16:08

have you tried Lactofree milk, I'm lactose intolerant and am fine with it- the same company do lactose free yoghurt and cheese (I've not tried those though), so your ds would still be getting calcium. www.lactofree.co.uk

limbiloo Thu 23-Jun-11 15:02:39

Yes I have bought the lactofree range products. Thank you for the web link. Can I ask Have you been Lactose Intolerant since you child?

bettythebuilder Sat 25-Jun-11 14:21:11

no, I was only diagnosed about 10 years ago, I think a bout of gastroenteritis (sp?!) I got after drinking tap water in a hotel in the Seychelles may have triggered IBS. I had the hydrogen breath test at hospital, and they diagnosed lactose intolerance was causing the pain!

mercibucket Mon 27-Jun-11 20:57:40

can I ask how you got the diagnosis in the end? can he tolerate strong cheddar cheese? ds1 doesn't eat butter or milk but can eat cheese and I've always just assumed he gets enough calcium from that - there's a lot of calcium in cheese. ds1 is not yet diagnosed lactose intolerant but has never eaten much in the way of dairy anyway so I'm moving him onto a dairy free diet and keeping a diary. I was surprised that some dairy products can apparently be tolerated, like cheese

BlackL Tue 28-Jun-11 13:56:03

Hi, I just found out the same. My 6 yr old has a severe intolerance to Dairy.
I went to a private clinic. Was £35 and they used a VEGA machine. Totally pain free.
Anyone out there can share your experience of how you felt before you found out? My wee man has some developmental delays and wondering/HOPING this might have something to do with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now