Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

4 year old, weight, height, & asthma

(4 Posts)
Pleiades45 Wed 22-Jun-11 11:45:07

DS2 has always been smaller than his brothers and I'm a bit concerned about his weight because he's not putting any on at all. He has grown about 2.5cm since christmas but is the same weight 15kg. He's now 104cm.

He takes singulair on a daily basis to control his asthma and only uses inhalers when he needs them (3 or 4 times a year). Does anyone know if singulair can affect a child's physical development?

Should I be worried that he's not putting weight on?

Tiggles Wed 22-Jun-11 17:55:21

As far as I am aware it is only when a child takes high doses of steroids, (which I am fairly certain singulaire is not) that it will affect their growth. DS is slightly short for his age - he takes brown inhalers and singulaire, but he is weighed and measured fairly regularly by the asthma nurse so they are happy he is on track.
Looking at a standardised weight chart a child is expected to put on about 1-2kg between age 4 and 5, so depending how accurate your scales are I guess you may not see that sort of change.

smudgethepuppydog Wed 22-Jun-11 20:32:42

The biggest side effect my DD suffered from Singulair was headaches but they settled down once she became used to the meds. Ds usffered from no side effects at all from it.

She is growth restricted but she was on huge, huge doses of steroids and her asthma was poorly controlled. Poorly controlled asthma can lead to growth restriction because sleep is affected. Our consultant always said kids bodies need sleep to grow. We had a sudden tailing off of growth rather than weight she fell off the centile she'd been on (went from 50th centile to 2nd in a very short space of time), infact she didn't grow at all between the ages of 4 and 6. How old is your DS? DD was 104cm at 7.

Pleiades45 Thu 23-Jun-11 13:45:16

DS is 4.7 so he's a good height for his age but he's really just skin and bone. I think he's in the 4th centile which doesn't sound good. He can be a picky eater, just eating to take the edge off the hunger and no more.

Most of the time the singulair controls the asthma (he has a chronic cough) and I only give brown and blue inhalers when he comes down with a cold and needs a little extra help. I don't think the inhalers are used enough to impact his size but I had heard that poor controlled asthma could also cause problems.

He's going to the GP for a review of the singulair next week so I'll mention my concerns and see what is suggested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now