Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chickenpox - Gp says off school for 5 days, school say longer

(5 Posts)
JackiePaper Wed 22-Jun-11 09:58:47

Ds7 has just come down with chicken pox only about 10 spots at the moment. GP said to keep him off for 5 days and send him back Monday. School however are saying they won't have him til all the scabs have fallen off which could be 10 days to 2 weeks! The gp printed off the official info which says 5 days from when spots appear but school are digging their heels.
I wouldn't mind but me and dh both work, he is a teacher so can't take any leave, I work for the nhs and my boss is less than understanding. The hospital also has a big assessment next week, she will go bonkers if I have 2 weeks off!
What did your childrens school say when your dcs had the pox? 2 weeks seems like a lot of school to miss.

ShowOfHands Wed 22-Jun-11 10:00:36

Our preschool say 5 days as per the actual advice.

LordOfTheFlies Wed 22-Jun-11 12:50:52

Surely the most infectious stage is before the spots show, So 5 days sounds right.

On a slightly different note my DS had shingles, had 5 days of tablets and was off Tues-Mon. Gp said give him a week.

School seems a bit OTT.

What does your DHs school policy say??

JackiePaper Wed 22-Jun-11 13:04:48

Not sure but he teaches secondary so not so common I imagine

Seona1973 Wed 22-Jun-11 13:05:23

they dont need to wait till the scabs fall off- only until all the spots have scabbed over. School is being OTT - DD had about 1 week off nursery when she had them. I'd ask to see their sickness policy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now