Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler with huge head

(21 Posts)
Scootergrrrl Mon 20-Jun-11 18:20:54

DS had his 8 month check from the health visitor last year and she measured his head as being off the centile scale. She asked me to take him back in six months so she could measure it again, and made some vaguely bemused noises but said she thought it was all ok.
We've been back today and it's even bigger! DS is meeting all his milestones and is generally a happy chap, although he didn't get the memo about sleeping through the night....
She wants me to take him to the doctors, which I obviously will, but I wanted to ask if anyone else had experience of a small child with a huge head and what they could be looking for.
DH and I think he's just got a big head and his body will catch up. Or that he's possibly looking to be the new Frank Sidebottom grin but it's a little bit worrying.

OddBoots Mon 20-Jun-11 18:29:45

A head larger than the normal range (Macrocephaly) could be nothing to worry about or could be a sign of a significant problem such as hydrocephalus (excessive spinal fluid around the brain). The GP will refer him for a scan but don't let it worry you, quite often it is just the way a child is meant to be.

AnyFucker Mon 20-Jun-11 18:31:39

this kind of thing can run in families, and the size of his head will become more in proportion as the rest of his body catches up

are there any similar stories on your, or dh's, side ?

the doc will probably just want to monitor it

I am presuming ds is approx 14 months old now. Is his development otherwise on track ? Does he have good sitting balance ? Is he cruising, pulling himself to standing (or even walking...but don't worry about that is he isn't yet)?

he doesn't have any other medical problems ?

AnyFucker Mon 20-Jun-11 18:32:59

even if it is hydrocephalus, try not to worry, it can be treated very successfully x

Scootergrrrl Mon 20-Jun-11 18:36:52

He's 14 months and is perfectly on track otherwise - crawling, pulling up, cruising etc and has been sitting securely for months. He's babbling, pointing, waving etc and seems absolutely normal apart from his comedy head smile
I've googled a bit (bad idea I know) and he doesn't seem to have any of the signs of hydrocephaly but I don't know what else they might be looking for.
DH does have a big head and so does his granddad.

AnyFucker Mon 20-Jun-11 18:38:37

ah, am sure it will be ok, love

the doctors will pick anything untoward up (so make sure you attend the appts), but it doesn't sound like it to me

EyeoftheStorm Mon 20-Jun-11 18:44:02

Doesn't sound like it to me either. DS2 does have hydrocephalus (due to prematurity) and he showed a huge difference before and after treatment. Your DS sounds like he's hitting all his milestones.

HVs were worried about a friend's DS. His head was off the chart too and they checked him out. Just had a big head. He's 5 now, a tall boy, and looks totally in proportion. Hope you get some reassurance from doc.

Would it reassure you to know that my ds2 has always had a huge head and is totally not in proportion? He is now 4 and I see his body starting to catch up finally. He is reading and writing and has an enormous love of battling and star wars so not much wrong with him. smile

I agree with AF, go to the dr's appointment for reassurance but hopefully it'll just be the way he is made. smile

StitchingMoss Mon 20-Jun-11 18:45:36

Scooter, my DS2 is the same - 2nd centile for body size, 98th centile for head size shock!

He was referred to a paediatrician who measured our heads and found out I was on the 98th centile and dh on the 92nd blush.

He is now 20mths old and has met all his milestones and some - the only problem is finding t-shirts that fit grin.

tyler80 Mon 20-Jun-11 19:25:46

My niece had/has a big head. My sister wasn't particularly concerned because although it measured big it didn't look big iyswim, but then the health visitor recommended they go the doctors and so the seeds of doubt were planted.

They were referred to a paediatrician, who measured my sister's head and her husband's head and told them that their daughter had a big head because they both had big heads grin

Scootergrrrl Mon 20-Jun-11 19:48:00

(Scooter peers carefully in mirror and resolves to go at DH with a tape measure when he gets home. grin)

Watch this space for results!

kickingking Mon 20-Jun-11 19:57:41

Mine's got a big head grin Always has had. Close to 98th centile.

He's more 'in proportion' than some of the children mentioned above though as he is taller than average, although slim.

We've not been referred although it was commented on! DH has a meat head though, that's why.

desertgirl Mon 20-Jun-11 21:09:04

another one with kids with massive heads; also genetic (my whole family has them) - always commented on when they were little enough to be getting measured and like Stitching Moss it is v inconvenient in terms of getting tshirts etc on.

And I can never find hats to fit smile

StitchingMoss Mon 20-Jun-11 21:11:36

Don't get me started on hats!! grin

AppleHEAD Mon 20-Jun-11 22:22:23

It's a family thing clearly! My friends was told her daughter had a small head. But she does and so does her sister and mother so her daughter will. Not everyone fits on their bloody charts!!!

Sirzy Tue 21-Jun-11 05:25:40

Ds has never had his head measured. I know it's big as at 19 months he is still in 9-12 clothes but age 3 hats. It's never worried me, it's just the way he is!

WorzselMummage Tue 21-Jun-11 05:44:14

My ds had to have a brain scan when he was a baby because he's always had a whooping great head smile

It runs in the family.. It's where we keep our big brains grin

try not to worry, your sons just gonna be super clever like me wink

sleepywombat Tue 21-Jun-11 05:56:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Seona1973 Tue 21-Jun-11 08:36:03

ds has a big head too and childrens hats do not fit him. I got his last winter hat from the mens section in tesco (he is 4 1/2!!). It is a little big but at least it doesnt cut the circulation off to his brain!

Scootergrrrl Mon 26-Sep-11 20:46:24

Well, we went to the doctors who measured his head, looked a bit hmm and said to come back in three months to be measured again. After battling with the dragon who guards the doctors like they're her first born child receptionist, we have an appointment for next week. Fingers crossed.

lisad123 Wed 28-Sep-11 11:49:18

Hope all is ok. Both my girls are AUtistic and when we saw genetics team they measured everyones head!! DD1 used to have a massive head but slowly shes grown into it, and dd2 has a big head too, but slowly catching up. I wouldnt panic too much but i guess it always better to be safe smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now