Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Braces-what age and how long(roughly)

(3 Posts)
LordOfTheFlies Sun 19-Jun-11 01:44:31

DD (9 yo) was at the dentist at Easter. We knew she'd need a brace because her two teeth next to the front two ( I think inscisors?) are really vampire-y.

She's still got alot of milk teeth-2 behind the canine on right side have got the adult teeth coming through the gum but the milk teeth are hanging on in there!

Whats the sort of timescale? Dentist is going to see her next month.I know the referral to an orthodontist might take a while. Do they wait until the milk teeth come out or remove them?
How long does a child wear a brace,on average.
How sort of age would be too young or is age not a factor?
Phew!
TIA

ELZGirlz Sun 19-Jun-11 14:02:51

MY DD (also 9 and in year 5), is having a brace fitted in December. I knew she would need one but didn't expect her to have one so young. She too has a few milk teeth left, but not many left. DD hasn't been referred to an orthodontist, our dentist is trained in orthodontics, she's having an x-ray and moulds done in December. A friends DS, 12, has been refered to orthdontist, there's a 2 year wait. We are lucky that we don't have to wait that long, it depends where you live.

Hulababy Sun 19-Jun-11 14:06:38

DD is 9y and the dentist is pretty sure she wll require a brace. However, as she still has many baby teeth the dentist is not going to do it yet, otherwise it may well need to be done again later. As DD got her first teeth later than average she is losing them later than average too, so sheis unlikely to have her brace until she is 11y.

The dentist has told me that there is currently an 18m wait for braces here on the NHS, so he is likely to refer her after her next dental appointment in 6 months time. Then hopefully by the time the referral comes through she will be the right age/stage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now