Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

2yr old digestion need some advise /help

(8 Posts)
Liz1979 Sat 18-Jun-11 10:49:55

hi there i am a newbie and wondered if anyone had experienced this and should i be worried
my baby is 21 months old 2 in october and she has never not once had a "proper" formed poo i would say between a 6 and 7 on bristol scale but just recently shes had one or two gritty almost sandy poos
she has a healthy diet eating plenty of fruit and veg but nothing in excess
she definatley has not eaten any sand and i am a little worried

thumbwitch Sat 18-Jun-11 13:14:50

Have you not taken her to the GP about this?? What have they said? She should not be passing stools of that consistency at this point in her life on a daily basis, it indicates that she is not absorbing sufficient water back from her stools in her intestines. This could be for any number of reasons but she may not be absorbing all the nutrients she needs either.

If you haven't yet taken her to the GP over this, you must do so. She may have some kind of problem with her bowel, that could range from a lactose intolerance through to an intestinal infection - but she needs to be tested.

Liz1979 Sat 18-Jun-11 13:30:29

no not yet i mentioned it to the hv a long while ago and basically dismissed me and said all babys are diffrent it will settle as she gets older but she is now coming up 2 and they are getting worse we have had the odd motion with mucus in and as i said the gritty ones we have an appointment monday so i thought i would bring it up on here to see if anyone else had experienced this

thumbwitch Sat 18-Jun-11 13:37:49

not directly no but as you are seeing the GP on Monday that should help to sort things out for you/your DD.

Babies that are just starting on solid food can have "gritty" poo - I think it's undigested fat, iirc. But your DD, at her age, shouldn't still be having poo like that so it does suggest that she isn't digesting properly.

Good luck with the doc - see if you can take a stool specimen with you so they can see what you mean immediately.

Liz1979 Sat 18-Jun-11 13:42:29

thats a good idea i am also trying to keep a food diary so i can tell them whats going in aswell

thumbwitch Sat 18-Jun-11 13:48:37

Yep, good idea. I really hope they sort this out for you asap.smile

Liz1979 Sat 18-Jun-11 13:51:56

yes me to she is however a very happy otherwise healthy little girl
and it causes her no obvious discomfort which puts me a little at ease

Keeny Mon 20-Jun-11 00:53:41

what type of a birth did your baby have? Your baby's body could be in shock. My ds had a hardish birth. For a couple of months he suffered constipation. He was hospitalised over it. No surgery involved. Went from doctor to doctor and was given laxose, gluctulose, movical, suppositories, all types of laxatives and was told that his insides were weak and needed help from laxatives to help him move. I was appalled by the length of time I had to keep him on laxatives (could be months or even longer). Think of the damage they would do to his insides. So I researched the internet and found that homeopathy was a natural remedy that could help. I took him to a homeopath who carried out a case study on him (took 1 and a half hrs). I found out his body was still in shock from his birth. Even though his head had been telling him to poo, his body was holding it back). I was given a remedy that dissolved on his tongue which released the shock from his body and he is pooing like he should be!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now