Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dental Sedation

(5 Posts)
Glubs Fri 17-Jun-11 20:06:08

We've just returned from a REALLY traumatic trip to the dentist. DD is 6 and to cut a long story short now needs to go to hospital to have a procedure under Dental Sedation. Has anyone else had dental sedation? Does it work? Does it have any side effects and is it gas that's used?
Any help very welcome.

Thanks

LordOfTheFlies Fri 17-Jun-11 21:01:53

My DD had sedation a while back.She was terrified to sit in the dentists chair even after watching myself and her brother.
She was sent to a dental practice that sees alot of children, not hospital.

I bought Emla cream to put on her hands and inner elbows as I didn't know where they would put the needle.
They were really kind,professional and efficient.They put a book under her nose to "Find Wally" while they got to work.
I was sent back to waiting room.
When she came round she had an eyepatch( the sedation makes them see double) She had to wait about 40 mins until she was fully aware.
I had to have another adult with me for the drive home.
No after effects, no nausea/vomiting.She was hungry so we gave her yoghurt and plenty to drink.

The only thing that upset her was another girl screaming(once DD had come round)

Then had a good search about to find a nice lady dentist that DD can trust.

DD will probably need to have milk teeth out in preparation for a brace.Not looking forward to that!!

LordOfTheFlies Fri 17-Jun-11 21:05:41

I don't know if she was completely under like a general or just sedated.She had injection in her arm not the old fashioned gas-mask that I remember!They sent me out and said "We'll look after her mum"
I was nearly a gibbering blubbering wreck then!!blush
PS I work in healthcare myself Shouldn't be weedy but that was my baby!!

Caan Fri 17-Jun-11 21:08:14

My dd has had sedation at the dentist twice. The first time was absolutely fine, she was woozy afterwards but couldn't remember anything. The second time was a nightmare, apparently she reacted badly and they have refused to do it again.

Glubs Fri 17-Jun-11 21:17:22

Thanks for your replies. Very interesting to hear mostly positive experiences. I can't imagine it being worse than today so we'll see how we go. Not sure I like the idea of being sent out, I may need sedation myself! Anyway, I guess they know what they're doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now