Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

13yo DD fainting 4-5 times a week

(8 Posts)
IShallWearMidnight Thu 16-Jun-11 15:38:20

She's been sent home from school 4 times in the past two weeks becasue she's fainted (properly unconscious) - what all do I need to be telling the GP? We've already seen one twice and had blood tests doen (all normal) and were supposed to eb gettign a referral to the hospital, btu it's been a week now and nothing has come through. So I have another appointment this evening with a different GP as both school and we are pretty concerned.

It seems ot be after she's been sitting down for a while, then a couple of minutes after she stands up she feels dizzy, her eyes are "starey", she sways a bit, then collapses. Sometimes she gets as far as swaying and starey-eyed, but doesn't properly faint. Doesn't seem to be linked to periods, she's eating reasonably well, isn't particularly stressed, isn't under or over weight, and isn't trying it on either.

The original GP seemed worried about the starey eyes (she mentioned fits, which I presume is epilepsy?), but was mainly just puzzled. I've kept a diary of the past ten days with dates, times and descriptions of what washappeneing, how she felt, what people roiund about her reported, anythign else I should be putting down?

And anyone else any experience of teenage girls fainting?

Imnotaslimjim Thu 16-Jun-11 15:45:03

It sounds like positional/orthostatic hypotension or low blood pressure on standing. I suffered with it when younger. The starey eyes is because she is trying to focus and stay upright.

tell her to not cross her legs when sitting, and to get up slowly. If she feels like she is getting dizzy, sit down again and let it pass then try again

There isn't really a treatment for it (or there wasn't when I had it) but I would follow through with the dr's just in case it isn't that

IShallWearMidnight Thu 16-Jun-11 16:21:46

just googled that, there's a support group and everything! Treatment seems to be drink more water and have plenty of salt. Thanks Imnot, I'll suggest that to the GP (thankfully the one I'm seeing is quite open to patients having googled symptoms and making suggestions).

Imnotaslimjim Thu 16-Jun-11 20:20:26

Glad to have been of help. Just so you know, while its bloody inconvenient passing out all over the place, and you chance bumping and bruising yourself on the way down, thats about the worst of it. As far as I know it doesn't cause any long term issues

quietlysuggests Sat 18-Jun-11 10:59:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ineedalife Sat 18-Jun-11 16:54:11

I have this problem, it was a nightmare when I was pregnant. My gp told me to flex the muscles at the top of my legs before I stand up. It really helps, but you should see the gp too.

Good lucksmile

mamas12 Sat 18-Jun-11 17:07:11

Oh I remember this happening to me too at the same age.
It is annoying as you can bang your head etc when going down but I did grow out of it and also knew to recognise the symtoms and do what I needed to do to not faint.

Good luck and really don't take her from school again unless she has banged her head or she will lose a lot of work!

Tiggles Sat 18-Jun-11 18:38:32

I used to be the same, I put it down to the fact I 'suffer' from low blood pressure. Got particularly bad when I had anaemia at the same time (rather embarassing moment passing out in an operating theatre - nothing at all to do with the surgery <grin>). Improved with age!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now