Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Has anyone got any advice for dealing with travel (car) sickness in a 14 month old?

(7 Posts)
mintymellons Tue 14-Jun-11 19:53:54

DD2 has been getting car sick recently. She is coming up for 15 months and this has been happening for the last couple of months. Not every journey, but at least three times. She starts yawning and fidgeting, goes pale, cries and then vomits.

I've tried using the acupressure bands on her (we had some from when DD1 was little and needed them the odd time), but it's hard to know if I've got them positioned correctly. I know they work on me as I use them regularly, but DD2 has been sick whilst wearing them.

We also keep the windows open to let the fresh air in.

Thing is, we're travelling down to the south coast in August (from Yorkshire) and I'm starting to dread it (booked the holiday before this became an issue).

I'd really appreciate any advice from anyone who's had to deal with a travel sick baby!

CoffeeDodger Tue 14-Jun-11 22:31:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mintymellons Wed 15-Jun-11 11:43:52

I remember those! Haven't seen them for ages though.

twonker Wed 15-Jun-11 22:06:12

try sitting her in the front. is it when you travel on windy roads? if so, worry less about motorway.

KangarooCaught Wed 15-Jun-11 22:10:45

My mother used to love old wives' tales and used to try them out on us, hence my travel-sick 3 yr old brother sitting on newspaper in the car. I believe it worked.

Is she too young for travel-sickness meds?

Nicnocknoo Wed 15-Jun-11 22:14:20

Ds1 started with travel sickness at a similar age. We had the same problem with the bands. My main advice would be no milk before travelling and make sure you stop regularly. Ds1 is now 7 but we still stop every 45 mins.

Try and travel at sleep times. I found journeys really stressful unless ds1 was asleep.

Ds1 now always sits in the front of the car but it wasn't pratical at that age.

mossip Thu 16-Jun-11 00:08:01

Mine had this for a while but grew out of it. We were having to go to regular hospital appointments at 9am for me. I think it was just too soon afer her having her milk. We didn't find any way of stopping it, given that we couldn't change the hospital times. We put her in an all in one kagoule type suit and carried lots of towels. She grew out of it by about age 2. It got easy to recognise when it was going to happen in that she stopped babbling and went quiet. You could maybe stop at that point and give a run around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now