Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Nil by mouth in 14 mo, 8am to 3pm

(7 Posts)
peasizedbladder Tue 14-Jun-11 19:19:32

DS2 needs a general anaesthetic for an MRI scan at 3pm. He will be nil by mouth (other than some water) from 8am. He is a very hungry big boy that LOVES his food/milk. He will scream the house/hospital down, he certainly isn't easy going! Help!

I'm going to try to get the hospital to move the appointment to earlier in the day. Seriously no idea how he will cope with it/we will cope with him. Any advice greatfully received!

keepmumshesnotsodumb Wed 15-Jun-11 16:05:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DeWe Wed 15-Jun-11 19:40:08

Ds had that when he was 20 months, and I was amazed that he didn't seem to miss food at all. Just didn't offer, didn't eat in front of him and he didn't ask.
Much harder when he was 3yo and he arrived at the hospital and told them "mummy hasn't given me any food, I'm starving to death." and then sat there mumbling to himself "I'm going to die if I don't get some food." He did more than make up for it afterwards though.

peasizedbladder Sat 18-Jun-11 21:24:08

Thanks ladies, I am feeling reassured that it may not be as bad as we are expecting.... just hoping we can get him to nap at lunchtime before the starvation really kicks in or we really will have problems!

The hospital are being v unsympathetic and cannot move him to earlier in the day as they only have an anaethatist available for MRIs one afternoon a week... seems stupid to me given that it will be only the kids that need to be put under...

Sukie1971 Sat 18-Jun-11 21:34:16

Am not a paeds nurse so might be different but in adults who were on a pm list for anaesthetic, we would give a light breakfast at 8 and water til 11. Might be worth asking a children's ward if that is acceptable?

trixymalixy Sat 18-Jun-11 21:37:00

Did this with DS for a food challenge at about that age. Was also amazed how unbothered he seemed about not having any food for that length of time.

oddgirl Sun 19-Jun-11 09:17:58

I am a paeds nurse-rule where we are is is 6 hours for food and milk and 3 hours for water/breast milk so he could have a drink up to midday.
Good Luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now