Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby just eaten large amounts of paper!

(8 Posts)
fragola Tue 14-Jun-11 14:06:20

DS2 (almost 6 months) has just eaten half a sheet of A4 while I was out of the room. I normally wouldn't be concerned about this sort of thing, but it's such a large amount of paper and he isn't even weaned yet!

I've phoned the health visitors office to ask if I should be doing anything, but no-one's going to be in until after 4pm.

Can anyone offer any advice/reassurance?!

winnybella Tue 14-Jun-11 14:07:09

grin He'll be fine.

Madlizzy Tue 14-Jun-11 14:07:26

I used to eat paper as a kid. I liked it for some strange reason. If you're really worried, phone NHS direct.

Oakmaiden Tue 14-Jun-11 14:08:31

It might be time to start thinking about finger foods???

Paper won't hurt him - don't worry too much!

mousymouse Tue 14-Jun-11 14:08:48

he'll be fine. paper is a good source of fiber smile
as long as it isn't glossy colourfull paper I wouldn't worry. nappy changes will be interesting in the next few days.

bluebobbin Tue 14-Jun-11 14:10:34

Were there any staples?

fragola Tue 14-Jun-11 22:04:59

Thanks for your replies everyone, they made me feel much better. Thankfully there weren't any staples!

The health visitor advised taking him to a&e in case the quantity of paper "bunged him up". The doctor was amazed that a small baby could eat that much paper and even got a sheet of a4 to clarify what I was saying. He hadn't come across anything quite like it before but said that he should be okay but to take him back in if he seems distressed.

I think that I should probably get on with the weaning, before he scoffs anything else!

bringinghomethebacon Tue 14-Jun-11 22:06:37

It will come out in his poo no bother but I'd give him some water to ease it along! Both DD1 and 2 were weaned on paper, I didn't notice with DD2 until I found quite a large quantity in her otherwise breastmilk only poo blush. How funny though that he ate so much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now