Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cranio Osteopath recommendation please (London)

(15 Posts)
marthamydear Mon 13-Jun-11 21:21:11

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help, advise and recommend please

I am concerned as my 10 week old son appears to have plagiocephaly (flat head syndrome).

I have tried more tummy time and laying him down correctly ie... opposite side to flat spot and it seems to be getting worse unfortunately(or more apparent).

I have done some research on mumsnet and there seems to be a suggestion that this condition can hamper development if it's not dealt with sooner rather than later.

Has anyone had a LO that has suffered with this condition and has used a Cranio Osteopath for Torticollis and rectified the problem?

If so, could you give me the name of the practitioner you use/used please?
I'm based in London, but would travel to surrounding counties if anyone has a great recommendation.

Thanks in advance.

bodiddly Mon 13-Jun-11 21:25:47

Try the Osteopathic Centre for Children in Clerkenwell.

OmicronPersei8 Mon 13-Jun-11 21:32:46

I've pm'ed you the name of someone near me. (Trying not to out myself!)

DBennett Tue 14-Jun-11 09:11:21

Please read the left hand column of blue text on the NHS page here.

I think you may find it reassuring.

I you want to read more on craniosacral therapy I'd advise a peruse of this.

There is really no good evidence to support this biologically implausible practice.

Gooseberrybushes Tue 14-Jun-11 09:15:42

I used someone in Putneyyears and years ago but for constipation and not flat head. Emma something. Very successful. Ignore DBennett. Blah blah blah.

eastendmummy Tue 14-Jun-11 09:18:50

Bodywise in Bethnal Green is very good. I took my son there several times for treatment for glue ear and he also has flat head and a few other things which osteopathy seemed to help.

DBennett Tue 14-Jun-11 09:22:16

"Blah blah blah"

I appreciate my post was involved more and longer words than yours but I'm not sure how this response helped anyone.

But maybe it made you feel better.

Gooseberrybushes Tue 14-Jun-11 10:19:54

For "blah blah" you could read "same old same old". Does that help?

zeolite Tue 14-Jun-11 13:27:00

A GP with paediatric experience is probably the best starting point. IME a good GP will not necessarily dissuade you from trying complementary therapies.

If you're keen on non-invasive therapies, I'd agree with bodiddly that the OCC at Clerkenwell is where I'd go for a paediatric osteopath.
www.occ.uk.com/

DBennett Tue 14-Jun-11 13:29:22

Not really.

It probably would have been more helpful to say which part of the NHS website or literature review you took issue with.

And then said on what basis you came to a different conclusion.

And why you feel that outweighs the NHS website/literature review to such a degree that you are completely right and they are completely wrong.

Gooseberrybushes Tue 14-Jun-11 15:20:30

Really? You don't think this is rather like - hmm let's see - responding to an advert for a nanny with a question about why the mother is going out to work at all?

ie rather patronising and completely unasked for and unnecessary

DBennett Tue 14-Jun-11 16:53:23

Ah, you think my post was not sufficiently on-topic.
And offensive as a result.

Maybe.
I have no way of knowing how the OP will take it.

But, to use your analogy, if the OP didn't have to get a nanny because her work happens to have The Most Amazing Childcare In The World (TM) would it be OK for me to mention it?

I don't know whether the OP knows about and has ruled it out.
Or whether they were were unaware of it.

But it's worth checking. Even if the OP is offended by the notion that they didn't know about it.

My post, if it had a clear intention, was to counter this paragraph:

"I have done some research on mumsnet and there seems to be a suggestion that this condition can hamper development if it's not dealt with sooner rather than later."

This is not the case, as my first link indicated.

But I feel this discussion is now cluttering up what had been a clean thread.
And for that I apologise to the OP.

marthamydear Tue 14-Jun-11 22:25:18

Thank you everyone that replied.

illuminasam Wed 15-Jun-11 14:23:05

Elaine at Health Matters in East Dulwich is excellent.

skewiff Thu 16-Jun-11 22:58:45

Ben Katz works in Bethnal Green.

He is excellent. The Osteopathic Centre for Children would be my first choice as you pay what you can afford. Ben Katz works there as well.

They have moved to Wandsworth though - no longer in Clerkenwell.

Also Richard Tomlin - based in Hammersmith.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: