Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Impetigo or herpes?

(12 Posts)
Maria101 Mon 13-Jun-11 20:49:36

My 1-year-old daughter developed what looked like a cold sore in the corner of her mouth 10 days ago. It gradually spread and 6 days ago my doctor diagnosed impetigo and gave her AB and cream. However, it's just got worse and today I went back and they said it could be a type of herpes. For five or six days now, she hasn't eaten much, save a couple of blueberries and a little bit of ice cream (she 's usually a fantastic eater). She was also vomiting with a temperature when she started her AB. When I took her back to the GP he swapped her AB. Anyway, she still isn't eating, though she has three bottles of milk a day (she usually has two but I'm giving her the third just to get fluid and nutrients into her). She has water too. I just want to know what's wrong with her. Does anybody have any idea or experienced anything similar?

sneezecakesmum Mon 13-Jun-11 20:54:56

Impetigo is quite distinctive and doesnt usually involve a temp. Basically golden yellowy crusts/sores around the mouth usually. Easily cured with antibiotics.

Primary herpes simplex occurs when a toddler is first exposed to the cold sore virus. They have mild fever, unwell, swollen gums and usually multiple mouth sores/ulcers. Antibiotics will do nothing as its a virus. Its usually not treated and will go eventually. bland food, painkillers and lots of fluids. GPs are often not good at recognising this and a dentist is your best bet.

My bet is herpes.

DirtyMartini Mon 13-Jun-11 21:01:17

DS had primary herpes at around 18 months and it was just terrible. His mouth was full of sores and he only had a few words, so he used to say "hungry" and try to eat and then sob with pain and say "sore" and just not be able to eat anything sad It was like that for ten days or so.

We also got a misdiagnosis of impetigo at the start; it took three doctors to figure out it was primary herpes. AFAIK there is no point trying antivirals if you're past the first day or two, so you just need to ride it out. I'm really sorry, it sucks and it seems to be not very well known so nobody "gets" what it's like. I dread DS passing it to DD. I also got it from him, first cold sore outbreak of my life ten days later!

I think jelly was less painful for him to eat - maybe try those Little Stars jellies?

Hugs to your dd ()

Maria101 Mon 13-Jun-11 21:11:50

Thank you. I forgot to say that she also has a couple of similar spots on her chest. Three of them are small but one is fairly big with a red 'flowery ring' round it. They thought she had thrush from the AB because she has a few white spots on her tongue so she now has drops and cream for her face and neck. Oh, and she has one spot on her thumb too. It started off red but is now dark red/black like a blackhead. Could that still be herpes?

Maria101 Mon 13-Jun-11 21:15:28

PS, as for jelly, she won't even eat yoghurt or icecream. I tried her with jelly a few days ago and she just pushed it away. Also the sores around around her mouth and up to the sides of her nose, but aren't really 'in' her mouth. Just a few white spots on her tongue. Is it very contagious? It was her first birthday party two days ago (sob) and we're going to have something this weekend to make up for it, but now I'm starting to think we should cancel that too? Double sob.

DirtyMartini Mon 13-Jun-11 21:18:46

Hmm. I honestly don't know, that does sound different. We didn't get anything like that. DS had the sores inside his mouth and throat, down his esophagus a bit, and all over his mouth/chin/lower face area; but nothing beyond that.

I was told that in theory, cold sores can happen anywhere on the body (it's just the mouth is the most common), but I wouldn't have thought that you would get them in so many places at once, all during the primary infection. (I am only speaking from experience though, no proper knowledge.)

Have you considered ringing NHS 24? We ended up doing that and getting a local hospital appt, and it was there that we got a proper diagnosis - if you have only seen your GP, it might be worth getting another opinion that way?

sneezecakesmum Mon 13-Jun-11 21:19:28

what you describe doesnt sound like primary herpes on her chest, I believe it only goes to mucus membranes. A red circle could be ringworm but doesnt have a spot in the middle! Got me stumped!

DirtyMartini Mon 13-Jun-11 21:20:32

X-posted with your second. It is sounding less like DS's herpes infection to me, definitely.

You need another medical opinion! Bug them until you get someone to take another look. Poor wee one, yes, I think you might want to put the birthday plans on hold!

DirtyMartini Mon 13-Jun-11 21:25:13

Sneezecakes, do you mean the primary infection specifically is confined to mucus membranes?

Just asking because if, like me, you were under the impression that herpes outbreaks in general are confined to those areas, apparently that is not the case - as I found out when I got mine on the back of my hand hmm and the hospital dr and nurse both assured me it was herpes and that it could in fact go anywhere.

Not trying to show off (herpes knowledge, the glamour!), just wondering if there is a distinction and if you did mean the primary infection specifically - in case that turns out to be an important clarification for the OP.

Maria101 Mon 13-Jun-11 22:24:42

Thanks everyone. The GP (today) said to take her back tomorrow evening so they could see what 24 hours of new treatment (drops and cream) had done, then they were going to get a second opinion. Fingers crossed! x

DirtyMartini Tue 14-Jun-11 08:09:42

OK, good luck!

sneezecakesmum Tue 14-Jun-11 20:32:29

Dirty. I suppose I am generalising about primary herpes. I have only seen it in the mouth and thats where I read it (mainly?) occurs , but I suppose the virus could get anywhere. There are some weird and not wonderful infections out there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now