Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Vivid red spots on DS's thighs and bum (no heads/fluid though) and cold sore-type things on lip

(11 Posts)
DirtyMartini Mon 13-Jun-11 20:16:38

DS, 3.5, has had cold sores in the past and I assumed that the sudden appearance of three on his lip yesterday was a (thankfully now rare) outbreak.

Tonight, though, we noticed his thighs had lots of angry-looking red spots on them. Have googled molluscum and they don't really look like that, but I can't think what else they would be?

He seems absolutely fine in himself, not even sure that the spots and the cold sores (if indeed they are) are connected. He's not scratching them.

confused Any suggestions? I'm worried that we should be doing something but it's essentially just a rash plus a cold sore outbreak, so ... maybe we're overreacting?

DirtyMartini Mon 13-Jun-11 20:48:38

bump

DeWe Tue 14-Jun-11 12:21:40

Chicken pox?

stirlingstar Tue 14-Jun-11 12:46:26

I'd also suspect Chicken pox? Even if he's OK in himself now - has he had coldy type symptoms over past 2/3 weeks? My DC's were more ill pre-spots than when spotty.

DirtyMartini Tue 14-Jun-11 13:20:55

Thanks. He had quite bad chicken pox a year ago; I know it can recur, but I don't think it's that (hopefully!).

We put on lots of Savlon after his bath last night as suggested by a post I found on an old thread here, and it seems to have helped, as the spots are much less angry-looking. I put it on again this morning. Cold sores looking like they are drying away, too (have been applying Zovirax).

So, hopefully a false alarm. Thanks again for replies though.

yousankmybattleship Tue 14-Jun-11 13:30:17

Could be impetigo.

ThisIsJustASagaNow Tue 14-Jun-11 13:38:05

I'm thinking possibly impetigo too. If it is he'll need some AB's. It does respond quickly though. I'd get him to the doctor in any event just for peace of mind.

just5moreminutes Tue 14-Jun-11 14:54:39

Impetigo is fluid filled. Maybe It's Hand , Mouth and Foot disease. My DS had it a few weeks ago and it sounds like what you're describing.
www.babycenter.com/0_hand-foot-and-mouth-disease_1614.bc

He caught it from a baby-friend, who got better without treatment. I took DS to the doc though, as it was ontop of his eczema, and she prescribed a mild steroid cream.

yousankmybattleship Tue 14-Jun-11 16:55:56

Impetigo is not always fluid filled. I'd check with your GP though - I'm not a GP and I doubt the other people on here giving you advice are either.

iskra Tue 14-Jun-11 16:58:49

Ringworm?

DirtyMartini Tue 14-Jun-11 20:34:55

Thanks again for replies. I will take him in to let the gp have a quick look. Spots have faded back a lot today, and cold sores drying away, but if they aren't gone in the morning I will try to get an appt.

<yuck> @ ringworm, always think it sounds so horrid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now