Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

A rapidly developing 9 yr old, what to expect?

(11 Posts)

Dd says one of her nipples/boobs is itchy just now and she herself is asking if it is because she is 'developing'. smile

Is this quite to be expected? What other delights do we have in store?

FrameyMcFrame Mon 13-Jun-11 20:51:05

My DD is the same at the moment. I fear this is the start of many new challenges smile

Really Framey? I wonder what comes next, I had better google in preparation. grin

FrameyMcFrame Tue 14-Jun-11 17:58:53

Grumpy hissy fits by all accounts smile

And that comes next? hmm We have been experiencing those for years. wink

Hulababy Tue 14-Jun-11 20:49:19

My DD has just turned 9y and already has started to develop small breasts, gone beyond just the little buds now. Her waist is also now more defined and she has started to form a more mature figure - waist, hips, etc. I have noticed she has started to hold a tiny bit more weigh as well - again normal, and she is in now way fat or overweight still. We don't seem to have too many hormonal outbursts - but then she was never one for toddler tantrums either tbh. She gets weepy a bit more often and I am just starting to try and note if it is cycical at all. We have no sign of new hair growth or anything more, so hopefully that will be still a way in the future.

I did some googling and it seems that it is about two years in general from this basic developing stage until periods come.

Have both of you explained to your dd what is happening?

FrameyMcFrame Wed 15-Jun-11 16:26:30

I gave my DD this book to read after we had a talk about periods/sex/babies/etc.
We also watched a video together which is on teacher's tv. Really good video...we both had a giggle at it smile
Just searched for it and I have discovered that teacher's TV has been axed by the coalition government! didn't know that, so we have lost the website with all the resources on!

I want it all to be as normal as possible and avoid as much embarrassment as possible, my Mum was awful with all this stuff so I'm determined to make a better job of it.

We had a light hearted chat and I wasn't sure it had all really gone in but I think it has she just hasn't let on. I like that book though, I'll try and get it.

Hulababy Wed 15-Jun-11 18:19:02

My dd also has the same book and we have discussed body changes and periods, and about growing pains and hormone changes.

JiminyCricket Wed 15-Jun-11 18:35:17

My dd has definite start of breast development at not quite eight. Eek. I have this book in preparation Care and Keeping of You - it seems quite good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now