Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Slapped cheek, is swimming ok?

(10 Posts)
FrameyMcFrame Sun 12-Jun-11 09:08:34

I think my DC have slapped cheek, my 10 year old has the typical red rash on both cheeks this morning but she feels fine.
Is it ok to still go swimming with this virus, as she feels perfectly well?

MegBusset Sun 12-Jun-11 09:19:58

Slapped cheek can be very nasty if caught by a pregnant woman so would keep her at home for a few days ime.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sun 12-Jun-11 09:21:24

No swimming, it is contagious.

jubilee10 Sun 12-Jun-11 09:40:24

The infectious period is 4 to 20 days before the rash appears. If they have the rash they are no longer infectious. They can go to school so I don't see why they can't go swimming.

FrameyMcFrame Sun 12-Jun-11 16:48:38

thanks, I kept her home just in case.
School ok for tomorrow...I'm not sure?

catx2 Sun 12-Jun-11 21:18:05

Hi. My GP said ok to go to school when you have the rash as you are contagious b4 the rash.

FrameyMcFrame Sun 12-Jun-11 21:44:55

Oh good, thanks smile

thefirstMrsDeVere Sun 12-Jun-11 21:49:08

My friend had a stillbirth because of slapped cheek.

FrameyMcFrame Mon 13-Jun-11 00:05:29

that's awful MrsDeVere, sorry to hear that.

I hope it's ok to send her to school, I've read a bit online and it seems that it's not contagious after the rash appears.

thefirstMrsDeVere Mon 13-Jun-11 11:06:26

I am sorry if it came across a bit blunt. I was posting quickly before going off for a bath!

I dont know much about SC apart from that it can have devastating affects on pg women.

Its pretty mild for children without underlying conditons isnt it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now