Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Large tonsils in 15 month old

(7 Posts)
sheeplikessleep Sat 11-Jun-11 13:49:07

DS2 has very big tonsils, almost meet in the middle.

He doesn't have any breathing problems we are aware of and no other symptoms of tonsilitis.

Is this normal? Anyone else experienced the same? Thanks

sheeplikessleep Sat 11-Jun-11 19:24:46

bump

Elibean Sat 11-Jun-11 21:30:58

It can be - and may never be a problem. Good to be aware of it though, because if he starts having sleep disturbances (apnoea), or difficulty eating, you will be able to ask doctors about his tonsils!

Possibly useful info: tonsils grow bigger in proportion to child until child is about 6-7 years old, and then child starts to grow bigger in relation to his/her own tonsils. So if he has had no problems by the age of about 6, he is very unlikely to.

HTH [smlie]

Marne Sat 11-Jun-11 21:33:31

All young children have large tonsils, i was worried about dd2's as hers were almost touching, i asked the GP and was told its normal and they widen as their imune system improves (age 5-7), something to do with tonsils helping fight/stop infections.

whysolate Sat 11-Jun-11 21:40:40

My three year old is having issues with this atm. We are taking him to the GP next week as it has started to interfere with his eating. He has to have really small pieces of food and often ends up gagging when he trys to swallow.

One of my other children has large tonsils too. He does get recurring tonsilitis and the GP said he will probably be a candidate for having them removed.

GrownUpNow Sat 11-Jun-11 21:44:04

I think it's only a problem if it's a problem, if you get me? My DS had trouble breathing at night when lying down, and his dad developed severe sleep apnoea as he got older, so we had him seen by ENT who said it would be best to remove them.

If they are large and no issues, then I'd wait and see as they do get smaller in proportion by a certain age.

sheeplikessleep Sun 12-Jun-11 08:04:18

Thanks all for posting, that's all really useful and reassuring, thank you.
I'll keep an eye on it, cheers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: