Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Pure Fruit Juice - is There a Problem?

(6 Posts)
Rainydaze Fri 10-Jun-11 22:30:45

Each morning, DS (just turned 3 years old) had a cup of fresh orange juice. He has this as his breakfast is iron-rich, so I hope it helps with absorption. The GP also said it's good to keep him 'regular' as he is constipation prone.

However, I'm worried that this is bad for his teeth. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Thanks!

Seona1973 Sat 11-Jun-11 07:51:51

both mine have fruit juice with breakfast too although I add a splash of water to a) make it less sugary and b) make the carton last longer. As long as his teeth are brushed twice a day they should be fine.

purepurple Sat 11-Jun-11 07:52:28

Yes, it is very acidic. You should dilute it with water, half and half.

olivo Sat 11-Jun-11 21:15:18

COuld he drink it through a straw? this is said to be less bad for the teeth as it puts the juice further back in the mouth, kind of bypassing most of the teeth.

DD only has juice very occasionally, but I dont dilute as it is grim diluted! I'd rather she had it 'full fat' but less often!

nightcat Sun 12-Jun-11 11:51:18

Dilute it (I always dilute any fruit juice) and look out for added ascorbic acid, which makes it even more acidic. Most cheaper brands have ascorbic acid added (innocently called vit C on some). They do rot teeth as generally saliva is mildly alkaline and teeth don't really like acid, coz it disolves calcium.
BTW, iron rich can be a cause of constipation.

VoldemortsNipple Sun 12-Jun-11 13:08:51

You can actually dilute it to 1 part juice to 5 parts water and it will go towards his five a day.

I recently went on a child nutrition course for this specific age group and this is what we were told.

Fruit is more concentrated in sugars when it is juiced, so you could alternate between fruit juice and a piece of fruit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: