Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler cut in mouth after falling - what to do?

(7 Posts)
IsItMeOr Fri 10-Jun-11 14:10:09

Hi, sorry if this is a bit daft, just not quite sure what - if anything - I should be doing.

DS 2.3 fell off a chair and hit his face after lunch, and he was bleeding quite a bit from his mouth. After about 5 mins it seemed to have pretty much stopped, so I've carried on and put him to nap thinking that would be better than dragging him to GP/Walk-in centre.

I'm not very good at knowing what the inside of a top lip is supposed to look like, but it seems as if he might have torn the connecting thin bit of skin between the top gum and top lip.

Does anybody have any experience of this, and whether I should just let it heal by itself, or get it checked out?

Thanks!

hillyhilly Fri 10-Jun-11 14:11:05

Personally, I'd leave it, the mouth heals quickly - I am no kind of medical expert though!

RunningOutOfIdeas Fri 10-Jun-11 14:13:12

DD tore this at just 5 months old (sucking on a toy and then she pulled it out of her mouth but it got caught). I did not take her to the GP. It healed fine and has caused her no problems.

So I think if it has stopped bleeding and is not bothering your DS, then you should not need to do anything.

scurryfunge Fri 10-Jun-11 14:15:50

Sucking on an ice lolly/ice cube is good for sore mouths.

IsItMeOr Fri 10-Jun-11 14:18:18

Oh thank you, that's a relief!

I try to be a laid back mother, but the sight of my boy bleeding profusely seemed to over-ride normal common sense wink.

I guess teething gel be okay if he's sore later?

orangina Fri 10-Jun-11 14:29:53

Calpol later if it is sore. DS (4) fell off a swimg in the playground a few weeks ago and cut his lip and inside his mouth. No need for the doctor, but it did sweel up a bit in the evening before bedtime, and I gave him calpol.... he was fine, swelling down by the morning and everything good as gold now.

Awful to see all the blood though! shock

IsItMeOr Fri 10-Jun-11 16:45:34

Thanks orangina. He seems to have woken up fine from his nap, although a bit swollen as you say.

Will calpol as necessary!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: