Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

8 yr old has trouble running

(5 Posts)
dorajordan Wed 08-Jun-11 12:02:46

DS is keen on sport but, frankly, not so great at doing it. That is life, of course, but he does seem to have somethig wrong with his legs or possibly pelvis, that prevents him from being able to run freely, like his (younger) brother and peers. He runs a bit like someone who is unused to running, although he is very acitve and as a family we are pretty outdoorsy. (Not desperately sporty, you understand.) He is by far the slowest runner in his class and of course, dreading sports day. He is asking to talk to the Dr about it and have it checked out.
It would be really helpful to know if anyone else has had a similar experience and who you consulted for advice. Or perhaps what kinds of exercise helped.
And yes he was a bum-shuffler in case that rings any bells for anyone.
Thank you for any tips. (And I am new here...)

Tiggles Wed 08-Jun-11 22:21:50

Hi,
didn't want you to feel ignored. I don't have exactly the same experience but DS had lots of motor issues and he was referred to occupational therapy where they worked on all his core muscles. I would ask the GP for a referal.

dorajordan Thu 09-Jun-11 19:53:28

Thank you. I always feel slightly pushy asking about small things but I just should get on with it. Thank you for answering!

Wallace Thu 09-Jun-11 21:29:32

Sounds like ds1 - he has hypermobile joints and it makes him quite unco-ordinated.

dorajordan Sun 12-Jun-11 22:11:03

Thank you that's helpful. And I've made an appointment... smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: