Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Poor DD, am waiting for GP to call back

(14 Posts)
treedelivery Tue 07-Jun-11 21:33:08

<<sigh>>

So concerned for her and feel so sorry for her.

She has ahd a temp for 24hrs, really high in general with horrrible spikes at 40.
She also has chronic long term constipation and is in a real pckle. The general illness has made it worse. She can push her poo to the brink, I can see it, but it won't come out. She's really uncomfortable and I have no more tricks or things to try.

All I can think of is a suppository which she has only had 1 of and hates hates hates. They hurt.

God it's crap.

whomovedmychocolate Tue 07-Jun-11 21:34:23

Oh dear, how old is she? sad

pooka Tue 07-Jun-11 21:37:49

sad Constipation is horrible - people sometimes write it off as a minor irritation, but ds1 had constipation for about 18 months. At the time I thought he was a difficult/grumpy/ornery boy naturally. But with hindsight I think he was pretty miserable - prone to tantrums, short fused. Yes, he was also 3. But...

I really hope the GP can help. Wish I had a suggestion. Definitely keep fluids up.

treedelivery Tue 07-Jun-11 21:43:24

She is 6, has been constipated since she was 6 months really. Severe and horrible from about 18 months - but like a fool I just managed it and didn't shout and stamp to get her treated properly.

I know exactly what you mean pooka, since we have really got on top of the amount of poo she carries about with her, she suddenly has an appetite and has gone from a life ont he 3rd centile to neat the 50th in a year. It is a horrible thing. I hope your little man has left it firmly behind.

It's hard to watch your 6yo cry on the toilet whilst shuddering with a temp.

Thanks fro the sympathy {smile}

bibbitybobbityhat Tue 07-Jun-11 21:45:44

Deepest sympathies.

Would a generous smear of vaseline help it on its way?

treedelivery Tue 07-Jun-11 21:47:17

That's a good idea - I had forgotton about that. Will try.

whyme2 Tue 07-Jun-11 21:49:51

My GP showed me how to erm 'help' the poo with a vaselined sp? finger. My dd was younger though.

But I know that constipation is not something to be dismissed. Hope you get some help soon for your poor dd.

pooka Tue 07-Jun-11 21:50:03

Thanks Treedelivery.

He is much improved. Still has a tendency to constipation but I'm better able to catch it, because is rarer now and I know the signals. Movicol helped us a great deal. I ended up going to docs after reading about it here and demanding prescription. A year of it made big difference, and when his appetite increased, so did the extent to which diet could be modified in attempt to limit likelihood of recurrance.

I really feel for you and your dd. sad Have an unmumsnetty <<hug>>

pooka Tue 07-Jun-11 21:52:12

I was going to suggest vaseline/finger. Not pleasant, but may help???

herbietea Tue 07-Jun-11 21:53:00

Message withdrawn

treedelivery Tue 07-Jun-11 22:00:22

Thanks everyone. It does help to have to understanding nods and hugs, as I always feel like I am over reacting or not reacting enought. Can't seem to get it right!

GP on call suggests A&E for suppository. I'm actually frightened to suggest it to her - I might say we are going to get the temp thing looked at. She sobs at the very memory of her one meeting with a suppository.

Have the vaseline in place. Maybe a miracle will occur.

Will update when we get back, wish us luck and poo.

treedelivery Tue 07-Jun-11 22:14:21

Sudden urge to poo and it's out. Well, the big bad worst of it that was working like a plug Wow to vaseline!! I love vaseline!!

What a relief. Am going ot give her double movicol and maybe a senna on top of the movicol and lactalose she already had. It will give her belly ache but really, the alternative isn't all that either. We need to get the 'back up' out now.

Thank lordy lord we don't have to go to A&E for a suppository. Hopefully the temp will stay sensible and she will sleep a bit. For now it's scooby do and toy buying plans, she has been brave bless her.

Looks like more school missed though, I can't send her with incontinence after the increase in meds. Even if the temp is ok. Hey ho.

Thanks again folks.

pooka Tue 07-Jun-11 22:31:33

Oh I'm so glad the Vaseline has done the trick.

Hopefully the temp will come down - is it related to the constipation do you think?

Shame can't go to school but she'd be shattered anyway and deserves a day on sofa (disregarding even the aftereffects of the meds). School not right place for her tomorrow.

jjazz Wed 08-Jun-11 22:35:53

if it happens again put her in the bath- nice and warm- good old play etc etc have a potty handy and dont flap if it ends up in the water. I have been there you are doing all the right things and they do grow out of it. Milk of magnesia is good too.xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now