Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Are the mice our cat brings in a risk to our baby's health?

(9 Posts)
vizjim Tue 07-Jun-11 11:39:13

Hi, first-time poster.

Our cat is going through a stage of bringing in dead mice/birds on an almost nightly basis. Obviously, it's horrible to deal with, but I'm now worried about the possible health implications for our 15-months-old daughter. Does anyone have facts/figures to hand on the likely risk of catching something from these dead animals? Should we try to rehouse the cat?

smearedinfood Tue 07-Jun-11 17:20:41

What's the cat doing with the mouse?

SuePurblybilt Tue 07-Jun-11 17:29:06

I wouldn't think so - presuming you clear them up properly and the baby doesn't have much direct contact. My DD has presented me with a crispy frog and a squashed mouse from the garden before now! As long as they're not licking the corpses, there's not likely to be much difference between recently dead mouse germs from the actual mice or the same germs walked in on your shoes or your cats paws.

Don't see it as a reason to rehome the cat tbh.

CMOTdibbler Tue 07-Jun-11 17:33:13

Unless the cat tries to feed them to the baby, none.

smearedinfood Tue 07-Jun-11 22:23:28

maybe your cat wants a bit of attention...and has decided to make himself useful... best the mice are dead really.. don't rehome the cat!

My cat brought loads of mice in when we brought our baby home and then went MIA for four days...not good.

vizjim Sun 12-Jun-11 08:51:01

Thanks all - she brought in 2 mice and a bird last night, all laid out on baby's toybox for us in the morning! Probably attention seeking, so will try giving her more wet foods and a good stroking session.

meditrina Sun 12-Jun-11 08:57:40

Anyone know how hazardous it is to human health to have live mice?

For example, if the cat brings in creatures which aren't quite dead. And they go and recuperate together. And you only notice later. Ad it takes a while to exterminate them.

How much harm, whilst you have them unknowingly, but presumably running loose and weeing on everything?

dikkertjedap Sun 12-Jun-11 20:23:24

Live mice can be carriers of salmonella, so worthwhile to set traps especially if you have crawling toddlers. Also, lots of cleaning/mopping (droppings contain salmonella if mouse is infected) if you think there are live mice where your child is. Same applies to rats and pigeons.

peasizedbladder Tue 14-Jun-11 19:14:57

ohhh the salmonella is a worry.

our cats bring in lots of mice, birds etc - and don't bother to kill them first. i've found 2 bells on their collars help lots in preventing them catching anything(touch wood).

we have an 'electric' trap (it is a black box with a battery in that zaps them) - nasty but quick and sometimes the only way to catch them. it was the only box i could find that looked child safe.

our two boys (eldest 3.5 now) haven't had anything nasty (beyond the usual tummy bugs etc), and nothing i have ever realted to mice catches. i still worry about it though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now