Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Very solid poo from 2yo

(8 Posts)
HavePatience Mon 06-Jun-11 22:54:04

DS has been having very solid pois fir several months. They are large and very solid/formed. We can tell when he needs to do one as his tummy gets round and hard. He cries or at least sheds tears / always very upset and says it hurts every time he goes. At first I just thought this was part of potty training.
Now, I'm wondering if it's something else? He tends to hold it in for quite a while, too - to avoid it sad

He eats loads of fruit and at least one smoothie as well each day. He has a well balanced vegetarian diet and I give him abidec multivitamin syrup and omega 3 liquid as well. His poos were softer when younger. I think they have been like this for about 6-7 months. His diet has not changed. I've even started giving him juice with the hope that it would help.

Any ideas? TIA smile

HavePatience Mon 06-Jun-11 22:55:16

Oh dear. for
blush
damn iPhone letter pad

HavePatience Mon 06-Jun-11 22:56:34

poos
<throws hands in the air>

cunexttuesonline Mon 06-Jun-11 23:01:43

I find baked beans help for my DS, but we often have similar issues to what you describe.

Pancakeflipper Mon 06-Jun-11 23:08:16

I have a 6 yr old who eats fantastically and masses of fibre. But still struggled with constipation. I blame his Grandmother and his father - they both suffer too.

I think dairy is making it worse. He loves his cheese. I have cut out quite abut of dairy and been ok recently ( fingers crossed). I do think that some foods trigger it off - it's a wild stab in the dark to what food(s) though.
I guess you have tried apricots/prunes/figs/dates? And the Dr's say fluids.. Drink lots.

And have you tried Golden linseeds? Wasn't the answer to our prayers. But it's helped and I have heard good stuff from others.

Pancakeflipper Mon 06-Jun-11 23:09:15

Abit, not abut. iTouch thingy...

HavePatience Tue 07-Jun-11 07:27:26

Thank you so much for the tips. I will try them all. If anything I'm glad he's not the only 2 yo with this problem

twinmummy24 Tue 07-Jun-11 14:08:09

i had the same problem when one of mine was that age, it got to the stage where she would hold for days, sometimes because she was too busy doing other things sometimes because she was worried it would hurt. she is a bit of a monkey and doesn't drink much so i really pushed fluids, apple and prune juice is best, in the end i took her to GP and we had a few months on lactulose to get her in a good routine and going without any pain, we gradually weaned her off and she has been fine since, although i do still have to remind her to go sometimes!!
she has always been a good eater and loves fruit i guess some kids just dont go as often, i have twin girls one goes every day one every 2-3 days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now