Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS has chickenpox - how can I help and will other DSs get it?

(6 Posts)

DS has chicken pox. I first thought he had been bitten (DH has, just been staying near coast) but it's spread like wildfire in less than 24h and classic chicken pox. First of all, what can help him? He seems fine - bit tired, and starting to scratch a little (spots turning to blisters now). How long does he have to stay off school etc? Also, other DSs (2 and 11m) seem pox free - will it come later, or if they don't have it now will they not get it? Thanks smile

AgonyBeetle Mon 06-Jun-11 13:05:19

incubation period for chicken pox is two weeks, so you other two won't get it until child no. 1 has recovered, most probably.

They're infectious until all the spots have crusted over, so keep him off school and away from other people until then.

For itching try antihistamine (cream, or liquid if it's really bad), calamine lotion/cream and/or floating a sock full of porridge oats in the bath water.

androbbob Mon 06-Jun-11 13:06:58

First you have my sympathies - just come to end of that ourselves! It is 10 to 21 days incubation period so others may develop spots in next two weeks.

Best we got was some aqueous cream with calamine lotion in it and some antihistamine elixir that is the same as in Priiton - this stopped his itching. The spots are still contagious until they have all scabbed over - can take 6 to 10 days - so will be off this week.

Friend at school has 3 week old baby and her son caught CP and the baby now has it.

androbbob Mon 06-Jun-11 13:07:52

Oh yes - we did the oats in the bathwater thing - I am sure that helped as well. I put him in PJ;s in the day - lightweight and not itchy on body and so he knew he couldnt go out!

bluebobbin Mon 06-Jun-11 13:15:57

I should think it is extremely likely that both of your other children will get it. The virus can be spread in the air - you just need to talk to someone for 15 mins (I think?) and you will be pretty sure to get it. Chicken Pox sometimes takes 3 weeks to develop once caught so I would expect both of your other children to develop spots soon. My DS got it from nursery and my DD got it 3 weeks later.

I needed to take him to GP for something else, GP said it was OK to bring him but I think I better not what with pregnant women and newborns etc. What a nightmare, he has just started back at school after about 2 months off. If the other two get it, is DS1 still ok to go to school if his is cured? I have to take them with me sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now