Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What could this be? Daughter not eating or drinking since waking up.

(7 Posts)
tigercametotea Mon 06-Jun-11 11:01:55

4 year old DD2 was fine yesterday. This morning she overslept by an hour, which is quite unusual. When she woke she was unusually lethargic and her lips very pale and whitish. She got up to have a drink of water, as she normally does, but after having a sip, she put down the cup and gagged and said she felt like puking. She went to the sink, retched, but only a few drops of what looked like the water she drank came out. I asked her if she felt a bit sick, she said yes, and I asked her if she would like some breakfast, she said okay. I was a bit doubtful she could eat, so instead of milk and cereal I just made a slice of toast with some butter on. She had two bites off it and said she didn't feel like eating, and just felt very tired. So I got her back into bed and told her to lie and rest until she felt better. She did. Then a few minutes later, she ran to toilet and puked out little chunks of bread that she had just had before.

So it seems like she can't eat nor drink for now. I just checked her temperature and she is not running a fever. Since she vomited she has just been lying in her bed tucked up and her eyes closed as if she's sleeping. What could be the problem? Do you think it could just be a simple case of food poisoning perhaps? Or could it be a viral infection of some kind? Or is it the warm weather this weekend? The other children seem fine and don't seem to be ill though DS slept rather badly last night, woke up a few times saying he feels hot. I took away his blankets and had him sleep in a short sleeve tee and light trousers and he still feels warm and sweaty though just checked he doesn't have a temperature either and he ate fine this morning.

Tortoise Mon 06-Jun-11 11:03:51

Sounds like a tummy bug of some sort. Or could be the heat if been out in the sun a lot.

Adair Mon 06-Jun-11 11:08:18

Agree, could be a tummy bug but i would get her down to the doctor or ring NHS direct. Hope she feels better soon!

tigercametotea Mon 06-Jun-11 11:08:53

They've been out a lot the whole weekend, but not really been spending lots of time in the sun though... but yes it does look a bit like a tummy bug doesn't it? Just hope its not something serious!

Tortoise Mon 06-Jun-11 12:40:05

I really wouldn't bother with drs yet, nothing they can do if no symptoms other than loss of appetite.. Has she been sick anymore? Just keep an eye in her and make sure she has small sips of water.

tigercametotea Tue 07-Jun-11 10:49:38

She's been fine since last evening, suddenly wanted to eat loads. Today, like normal. Thanks for the advice ladies!

Adair Tue 07-Jun-11 11:01:15

Oh good, meant to ask yesterday.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: