Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

I think my 12 year old daughter may have gastritus

(9 Posts)
fluffycauliflower Sun 05-Jun-11 21:47:33

She feels nauseus after most meals, has a tiny appetite, is quite thin. Has anyone experienced this? Anyone got any advice? I took her to the doctor last week and am waiting for him to call be back, he said that he would seek a second opinion (I think he was a trainee GP).

frazmum Mon 06-Jun-11 21:06:06

Could be period related. My oldest DD quite often felt nauseous in the first few years and barely ate around that time of the month. Has got better but still has bad months.

fluffycauliflower Tue 07-Jun-11 08:59:46

Thanks for the reply. I don't think her symptoms are cyclical, they are just constant. I have read that if it is gatritus (inflamation of the stomach lining), you need to do something about it as it can lead to other things.

nomadwantshome Tue 07-Jun-11 09:07:11

I e just been diagnosed with this. My symptoms are the same as your DDs, I often feel full pretty quickly. I had a camera Thingy down the throat to diagnose it. They took a couple of samples, it's not bacterial and am waiting for results of the other tests. I'm told I'll need to go on acid reducing meeds for 4-6 weeks.
It's all complicated by the fact I have gall stones too.
Is it after every meal or after particular meals? Gastritis can be aggravated by certain foods. Are you keeping a food diary?

fluffycauliflower Wed 08-Jun-11 18:25:37

No we're not keeping a food diary, may be I should start. I think I think it's every meal, but maybe not breakfast. What kind of foods do you need to avoid? Was having the camera stuck down you really horrid? The GP has given us the brush off, I don't know how pushy I should be in terms of getting it investigated. He has suggested trying gaviscon - I suppose if we tried it and it helped we'd know that acid was a problem

nomadwantshome Wed 08-Jun-11 21:26:13

Hi fluffy, not sure about everything as ive just been diagnosed and started researching myself. From what I've found out, it can be certain food groups rather than a particular food. Caffiene and alcohol can aggravate it but I'm sure this won't apply to your dd lol! Unfortunately it applies to me...no t fair!

The camera thingy was very unpleasant. I wouldn't recommend it unless it's vital. Having said that I had a sedation which didn't work. Alot of people can't remember a thing.

The thing about excess acid is that I don't feel like I have an acidic tummy. I think that the point is is that something is just not going down well and I have to find out what it is and eliminate it. Difficult with tea for me and then I enjoy a glass of wine or two, but I know that it's food stuffs too. Gaviscon just masks the problem doesn't it? I don't know it's difficult. I don't know how pushy you should be. I don't have an awful lot of faith in Some gps. I find some parts of the nhs are brilliant at urgent, emergency stuff but not very good at the day to day, run of the mill stuff.

How long has it been going on? Is her weight in line with what it usually is? Maybe also keep a diary of her weight and symptoms.

Buddhastic Thu 09-Jun-11 07:37:18

Hi, I have just had endoscopy(gastroscopy) and it was a doddle but I was sedated and can remember nothing at all. Apparently, it doesn't last very long but would have hated to have had the same experience as nomad. I had a DVD and a letter stating I have 'erosive gastritis' sitting at the bottom of my bed when I woke up. I am waiting on biopsy results but had the same symptoms as your DD and it's not nice at all. Poor girl. I have another illness that I think this is all related to but you should speak to your Doc about getting your dd tested for h-pylori, if kids can get it. It was a simple breath test. If thats what she has then I 'think' its a course of anti biotics to get rid of it.

Nomad, tea sets me off too, have cut down to two cups a day but I do suffer afterwards - just have no willpower.

nomadwantshome Thu 09-Jun-11 16:26:00

If I ever have to have it again I think I'll ask for a double dose! Budd I have no willpower either, what a bugger!

fluffycauliflower Thu 16-Jun-11 15:24:26

Thanks for your messages, I've been away so could not log on. I didn't realise that the bacteria test is so simple. I'm going to go back in a couple of weeks and try a different GP as I basicaly just got fobbed off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now