Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

1-year-old hates having teeth brushed

(6 Posts)
Maria101 Sun 05-Jun-11 20:54:33

My 1-year-old used to love having her teeth brushed, but now just clamps her mouth shut and refuses to let me do them. She's a bit better in the morning and late afternoon, but after her last bottle of the night she really kicks up a fuss when she sees the brush. I don't want to force it into her mouth and make her scared of the brush. How can I get her to clean them? And how worried should I be if she isn't brushing them every single night? I don't want her to ruin her teeth. Sometimes she'll chew on the brush for a minute or so. Is this enough?

Besom Sun 05-Jun-11 20:58:01

I got round this problem, at least to some degree, by having two brushes so I'd give one to her and when she was chewing on it herself I'd nip in with the other one and have a bit of a quick brush. (I think someone else told me to do that on here).

I now have a very compliant little tooth brusher so don't worry, it won't last.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 05-Jun-11 20:59:03

Tickle her. Blow farts on her tummy. They do eventually stop objecting. Mine have sonic toothbrushes and they seem to like these better.

mrspear Sun 05-Jun-11 20:59:21

My little one is like this - how about you brush your teeth at the same time?

I.e she brushes her teeth and you do yours then you can suggest she does your's while you do her's. I know i know it turns a one minute exercise into a two minute job but it is then done.

I only do this on the nights he point blank refuses. BTW I have two baby tooth brushes so no damaged teeth.

starystar Sun 05-Jun-11 21:01:50

Hi, my one year old has off- evenings occasionally too. What we have is a normal toothbrush and a chewable one so if he wants to chew he can. I just try to make sure I apply the toothpaste, brush if I can then give it to him (supervised). If he clams his mouth shut, we just make it into a game, get him to laugh and then give it a quick brush!

mungojerrie Sun 05-Jun-11 21:22:48

We do animal noises - Monkey (eee-eee for the front teeth) and Lions (roooaaar for the back teeth!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now