Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS had grommits in both ears on wednesday .........................

(13 Posts)
edwardsbella Sun 05-Jun-11 11:44:14

when will they work ? we have'nt seen any difference yet

PogueMahone Sun 05-Jun-11 11:47:15

I noticed a difference immediately with DD. She could hear a watch ticking for the first time and had to put her hands over her ears when she flushed the loo, or a car drove past etc.

Was there anything that he couldn't hear before that you might be able to 'test' him with now?

DeWe Sun 05-Jun-11 17:27:06

I noticed pretty much immediately this time (3.9yrs). It was when I called his name as he ran away from me and he stopped and turned round. He also complained that noises were too loud and the volume on the computer is noticably lower.
How old is your ds? I didn't notice much difference immediately when ds was 20 months and had them. It was only when he had his 6 week check up and they asked about his speaking and I realised his number of words had more than doubled in that time.
After the grommets came out the first time, he started patting my cheek to make me look at him when we were talking, which he hadn't done since he'd had the grommets in. It was pointed to me that he was lip reading when he did this.

tribpot Sun 05-Jun-11 17:32:45

I had grommets put in for the first time <ahem> years ago (it must be over 30! Good god!) and my experience was much like PogueMahone's DD's, particularly the watch ticking. Hope it all goes well!

edwardsbella Sun 05-Jun-11 20:14:43

he usually cant hear the phone ringing or a knock on the door ,areoplanes or helicopters ,clock ticking ,i was under the impression it would work immediatly ,he did say when he was coming round that the ward was noisy and then since then is still mis hearing words i say ,you still have to call him loudly and he still has the t.v loud

edwardsbella Sun 05-Jun-11 20:16:06

he is nealy 5 btw

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 06-Jun-11 08:42:09

D had some put in 18 months ago. They are out now obviously. We noticed a slight difference in her, but nothing dramatic. She did talk less loudly which was a blessing. It was like having Brian Blessed in the house at times.
She had a hearing test a week after having them put in and that showed a dramatic increase in her hearing. She was eight when she had them done.

ajandjjmum Mon 06-Jun-11 08:45:24

DS is now 19 but had grommets on 3 occasions as a child. We could never tell the difference - he ignored us just as before!!! grin

But all the tests showed that his hearing had improved, it was just whether he could be bothered to use it.

Pretty much the same now really!!!!

edwardsbella Mon 06-Jun-11 12:29:25

aj thanks for that i was starting to think he was the only one to not start hearing straight away,he will have a hearing test in 6 weeks so i geuss will will have to wait and see

edwardsbella Tue 07-Jun-11 17:07:31

my sons teacher has asked us to see the school nurse on thursday as she has seen no difference and is not happy with the op outcome as its effecting his schooling

PorkChopSter Tue 07-Jun-11 17:09:46

When's his check up? will they repeat the hearing test then?

DD had hers 4 months ago, and in the car in the way home was complaining about it being too noisy - the noise being her screaming confused and she spent a few days screaming with her hands over her ears before coming accustomed to the noise. I was hoping she'd just give up screaming smile

edwardsbella Wed 08-Jun-11 16:40:53

just got the letter 5 weeks from now -ive called the hospital today - its not on having to wait that long for a hearing test ,we will see what they say

Amieesmum Thu 09-Jun-11 19:41:43

DD had hers about 3/ years ago, made no difference at all, Unfortunately now wears hearing aids x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now