Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Bus accident, then trip to A and E. Was I unreasonable?

(16 Posts)
MissBetsyTrotwood Sat 04-Jun-11 21:33:12

My DCs were sat at the front on the top deck of a double decker bus on the way home today. Not out of their seats, or standing up, just looking out of the windows. The bus did an emergency stop... the DCs flew hard up against the front window then fell down, both hitting their chins hard on the handrail.

Both were very shaken and hysterical. DS1 told me he couldn't open his mouth properly, and couldn't stop crying. His chin was beginning to swell. To cut a long story short, I knew we didn't need an ambulance but got off bus, took the number, got cash out, got in a cab straight to our local hospital which has a paediatric A and E.

We waited 3 hours, due to an vv complicated emergency. DS1 had pain relief from the triage nurse and by that point, DS2 seemed pretty much OK. Eventually we were seen - DS1 has badly bruised chin but is fine.

So I told all this to MIL when she called this evening. She told me I had been 'rather over the top' (her words, not mine) in taking them to A and E, and now they had 'all sorts of other bugs to worry about' as a result.

I'm upset and on my own as DH works mostly overseas at the weekends. What would other MNetters have done?

Sirzy Sat 04-Jun-11 21:35:14

If you were worried about it then you did the right thing getting it checked IMO.

thighslapper Sat 04-Jun-11 21:35:45

Probably not gone to A&E tbh.

would have gone home and kept an eye on them

lindsell Sat 04-Jun-11 21:41:23

As your ds1 was saying he couldn't open his jaw and was in pain I would have been concerned about dislocation/fracture so would have wanted him seen by someone but would prob have called our gp out of hours service or the local walk in gp first as I hate the wait in a&e.

Anyway Yanbu as you were obv concerned

DeWe Sat 04-Jun-11 21:51:21

I avoid A&E where possible, but I'd probably have taken him with those symptoms. Surprised the bus driver didn't come and check everyone was okay. If they had I suspect they'd have called an ambulance.
Once when I was on the bus, and an old lady fell off her seat with an emergency stop (which was definitely the person in front's fault) and the bus driver was so concerned for her, he ended up taking a detour to drop her off at her house and even knocked on the door of the neighbours to ask them to keep an eye on her. The old lady was a bit embarrassed at the attention, but he was really sweet with her.

MissBetsyTrotwood Sat 04-Jun-11 21:52:45

I did think about the GP but their stock answer is nearly always to go to the A and E as it's just up the road from where we live. I think I would have reacted differently if I had someone else around to talk it over with...

What I forgot to mention was that there was a nurse on the bus who saw what happened and suggested I took them to be checked over.

Sorry, I'm just tired, over sensitive and almost definitely hyper sensitive when it comes to MIL criticising my parenting skills. wink

MissBetsyTrotwood Sat 04-Jun-11 21:55:00

Aww DeWe that's lovely of him!

She did stop, but only after another passenger went down the stairs to tell her what had happened. I think she was quite shaken up too. A car had carried going through a red light.

brabbinsandfyffe Sat 04-Jun-11 21:55:20

My little sister had this happen to her when she was little - went to AandE and had stitches as a result, very painful and still has scars now. I think YANBU, especially if there's swelling and mouth not opening.

mousymouse Sat 04-Jun-11 21:56:57

yanbu at all.
I think Iwould have gone to A&E as well. it wasn't "nothing", your dc had potentially a nasty injury.
report to the transport co. as well.

thumbwitch Sat 04-Jun-11 21:58:54

YANBU. I would have done the same under the same circs, because it is possible to fracture/dislocate your jaw that way. your MIL shoudl keep her opinions to herself. I'm sure she would have done the same in your position as well - it's easy to be "clever" about it when it's not you in that situation.

Glad you and your DSs are all right. Your DS1 might have some troubles chewing hard stuff for a while though.

And if he complains about his teeth hurting, take him to the dentist and tell them what happened - I know it's entirely different but a friend of mine's DD fell on a trampoline and pushed her top teeth back into her jaw, fracturing them inside the gum - a real mess. They're coming down again now but she's seeing the dentist every month to see how much integrity the teeth still have. sad

MissBetsyTrotwood Sat 04-Jun-11 22:07:08

Thanks guys. Good to hear other people's take on it. Just makes you think about how important car seats are. There was a woman in the same seat on the other side of the aisle and she got quite a jolt, but nothing more; the same force sent the DCs flying hard up against the window.

I knew all this before but there's nothing quite like seeing it happen to hammer home a point. I'm going to strap them in even tighter in the car now!

thumbwitch that poor girl. sad

thumbwitch Sat 04-Jun-11 22:13:14

I know - at least she's only little (2 1/2) so probably won't remember much about it, and her adult teeth should be fine but they have to try and keep the baby teeth in situ because they act as a guide for the adult teeth to come through.

meditrina Sat 04-Jun-11 22:20:10

I think you were right to go to A&E as you were concerned about a jaw not working properly.

You were lucky that it was an emergency stop though - think how much worse it would have been if there had been an actual crash.

Hope they're better soon, and that the shock is dying down for all of you (you included). It must have been horrid at the time.

sneezecakesmum Sun 05-Jun-11 20:13:58

As an ex A&E nurse you did the right thing. DSs jaw needed checking over. MIL was out of line imo!

MissBetsyTrotwood Sun 05-Jun-11 20:23:34

Thanks again all. He is much better today, few doses of painkillers needed but no big issues and happy to eat and drink and play. Swelling has gone down and the bruising seems to be concentrating in a 2 or 3 inch area under his chin. Pretty spectacular colours! Plus, as predicted by the paediatrician, they both slept like logs last night. smile

MissBetsyTrotwood Sun 05-Jun-11 20:26:38

Oh, not inches, centimetres. That many inches under DS1's tiny chin would be more worrying!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: