Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

growing pains

(3 Posts)
mandmsmummy Sat 04-Jun-11 20:34:00

Hi all
Ive posted before on here about this, my son has been having them for 3 years (5 year old) according to GPs. I insisted on referral which was really helpful. They basically said there are no such thing as growing pains, my son has flat feet and mal alligned legs. all of which can be rectified with inserts in his shoes and it explains the pains, clumsiness and not confident in climbing etc. Also he is very bendy and this means his muscles are working harder so they hurt at night. I am not trying to scare anyone but thought some peolple might find it interesting. The consultant said she sees children all the time with these problems and its nothing to worry about, it was just great to finally have someone explaining why he suffers sometimes.
Hope this helps
xx

moosky Sat 04-Jun-11 21:40:13

It's called 'benign joint hypermobility' and is very common.

My daughter has it severely and attends physio and has orthotics in her shoes. She only wears kickers for school, on advice of her physio and paediatric rheumatologist.

mandmsmummy Sun 05-Jun-11 21:41:04

hi moosky
Id never heard of it before, im more concerned that they left it until he is five to diagnose - has the damage already been done?
x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: