Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Will GP prescribe something for a non-sleeping excema baby?

(14 Posts)
fifitot Sat 04-Jun-11 19:38:02

DS is very troubled by excema. He has bandage suits at night but still scratches. His skin doesn't look that bad at the moment but his scratching continues, almost like it's a compulsion with him. It keeps him awake and when he does fall asleep he wakes himself up scratching.

He is 10m old and none of us are getting a good night's sleep. Wondered if doc might give us something. I have tried Piriton but was wondering of any other experiences in this area. Thanks.

DeWe Sat 04-Jun-11 23:02:08

There is something that specifically is meant to help an itchy child sleep. Dd2 got prescribed it at 18months when she went into a really bad sleep pattern I couldn't seem to break. I have a feeling though they've raised the age you can give it though. It's worth going and asking.

fifitot Sun 05-Jun-11 19:48:03

Thanks.

whenwillisleepagain Sun 05-Jun-11 22:38:35

I hope they do, it sounds stressful for you. I think my DS first had an antihistamine prescribed shortly after his 1st birthday and it may be the one he still takes at 4.5 - loratidine. I'm sorry - it was a while ago and I can't remember.

ElBandito Sun 05-Jun-11 22:56:54

Yes, ask the doctor. Beware though, my DS still woke up even with a 'drowsy' anithistamine and was extra grumpy and tired during the day.

In the end I went back and got a non-drowsy antihistamine, doctor must have thought I was nuts but it actually worked better for us!

I hope it gets better for all of you soon.

vintageteacups Sun 05-Jun-11 23:05:38

What do you put on him cream wise at night?

Have you tried smoothing his skin with a layer of vaseline? It really helps stop my eczema itching and has allowed me to keep it under control since having the children.

fifitot Mon 06-Jun-11 10:38:16

Thanks all. Vaseline makes it worse unfortunately. We have a collection of various creams and use a rally thick Hydromol ointment at night, with steriod cream when it's really bad.

He just twitches and scratches all night though and constantly wakes himself up - and us!

Will go back to GP as don't think Piriton is really helping us and ask for something else.

vintageteacups Mon 06-Jun-11 11:33:15

I think at 10 months, it's surely an allergy. Have you had him tested for lactose intolerance?

fifitot Mon 06-Jun-11 19:39:40

How would i go about getting him tested?

tiredfeet Mon 06-Jun-11 19:47:34

agree it is worth asking for allergy testing, our gps were all very flippant about ds's eczema but luckily (in a strange way) he had a very severe allergic reaction to his first taste of formula milk and we have now discovered he has multiple severe allergies.

Also have you tried scratch sleeves? Ds cannot scratch at night thanks to these, has made such a difference

vintageteacups Mon 06-Jun-11 20:29:04

Generally, eczema is down to either an allergy or a lack of something, such as GLA in the body, making the person more susceptible to environmental or nutritional factors.

I would take your DS to the GP and ask for them to refer him for allergy tests. If they seem reluctant, tell them that he's only 10 months and you can't let him go on being so agitated 24/7. If you still don't get a referral, book an appointment when another GP is on.

twonker Wed 15-Jun-11 22:19:24

is your child overheating? those bandage suits can be hot for kids. I keep the windows open, and have cottons sheet and a silk duvet for my 5 yr old who suffers similarly.

i have just taken her off hydroxyzine, which i doubt is used for babies so little. it stopped working and as previous poster said made her foul tempered on waking

vintage teacups, i thought eczema was due to a genetic propensity?

Conkertree Thu 16-Jun-11 22:21:17

Ds1 (3) has had phenergan in the past, and is now on vallergan. Tried hydroxine but ds didnt like it (did find it odd that an antihistamine was nut flavoured!).

I know they say you can build up resistance to them, but so far, nights he has it are definitely better than the ones he doesn't.

Definitely worth asking the gp for, and maybe asking for a referral to a dermatologist as well? Some gps are great eith eczema, and some dont seem to know that much about it, so it might be the luck of the draw, but definitely worth trying to get on top of it before it impacts too much more on you all - i feel your non-sleep pain.

foxinsocks Thu 16-Jun-11 22:25:37

I still take phenergan today when I have v severe itchy skin (or bad allergies).

I'm afraid when your skin is v itchy, there is nothing worse than trying to go to sleep. I agree with the others - see if you can find a cause or related allergy - you may find nothing and you may 'just' have a child with eczema. But it's worth checking, just in case there is something that is triggering it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now