Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

2 year old has fractured humerus - how do I keep the arm immobilised?

(2 Posts)
tiredinstaines Sat 04-Jun-11 19:31:22

Hi all, my son has has a "non-displaced supracondylar fracture of the humerus", just above his elbow. The fracture clinic put his arm in a collar & cuff (which has to stay on 24/7 for the next 2 weeks) and told us to keep it underneath his t-shirt and cut a hole in the front so his hand can poke through & he can still use the hand. We've tried this for the past 2 days and he will not stop using his hand/arm, the tshirt keeps riding up and most of his arm comes out of the hole. I'm worried this will stop the bone from healing. He is a very active toddler and it is impossible to get him to sit still, slow down etc. Is there anyone out there whose toddlers have had the same sort of injury and do you have any tips/ideas on how to get round this problem? Any advice appreciated!

LeChatRouge Sat 04-Jun-11 19:36:29

That sounds strange - I can understand that method of treatment in an older person who understands the process of healing, but in an active 2 year old?

I would ring the Fracture Clinic and ask for advice - they may be able to put a fibreglass plaster on for at least the first month - these are very lightweight. Or something called a backslab where three quarters of around the arm is supported by a cast with a bandage on top to cover the quarter gap part left unplastered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now