Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3 YO woke up with red, swollen face this morning... Sunburn developed overnight?

(15 Posts)
Tamashii Sat 04-Jun-11 15:23:16

It was boiling hot here when DS was out with his Auntie and cousins yesterday so I put factor 50 suncream on him before he left the house and gave Auntie the bottle and she applied more as the day went on. She said he was running about lots and really sweating so she was worried he got too much sun.

He was absolutely fine when he got home at dinner time. He was quite red from running and it was just red cheeks really. I gave him a cool bath and cooled him down. He was totally back to normal. No sign of anything when he went to bed and nothing when I went in to tuck him in before I went to bed later.

This morning however, DH went through to get him for breakfast and DS face was red, kind of raised skin with swollen eyelids. DH gave him Piriton (he has egg allergy so we always have piriton in the house) and the swelling started to go down within an hour. He is fine now but still has quite a red face so it looks like a bit of sunburn. No pain, itching, blisters, temperature. His skin is hot and flushed. He is still looking a tiny bit puffy.

Sorry for long post but I wanted to put as much as poss to help get some advice. He had no egg yesterday and if he had it would have flared up the second he had any egg so it can't be that. I haven't changed anything to do with washing powder in his bedding or anything in his room so I can't think of anything he has reacted with during the night.

TIA for any advice on this. I am so blush and worried he had too much sun - it is such an issue and his Auntie did say she put on plenty sun cream since it was so unusually sunny yesterday (we are in Scotland by the way)...

Northernlurker Sat 04-Jun-11 15:25:33

THat sounds like an allergy though. No idea how he's managed it but somehow he's come in to contact with an allerge.

vintageteacups Sat 04-Jun-11 16:23:36

Slap cheek?

vintageteacups Sat 04-Jun-11 16:24:18

image of slap cheek

RunforFun Sat 04-Jun-11 16:32:41

were you by the sea at all ?
only asking as I suffered from 'glare' from the intensity of the sun against the water many years ago on a trip o spain.
Made my eyelids swell up for about 4 days !

I wasnt wearing sunglasses, but had on plenty of cream.

KatyMac Sat 04-Jun-11 16:34:53

I had this coming home from Egypt (where I stayed inside, wore long clothes & factor 50) the red went all down my front (so under my clothes) so we went for allergy

Twiga Sat 04-Jun-11 16:43:59

Vintageteacup, slapcheek was my first thought too.
Hope he recovers quickly.

Pipnik Sat 04-Jun-11 16:45:21

had you used the sun cream before? DS reacted like that to a new one we got this year

Tamashii Sat 04-Jun-11 17:05:11

Thanks for the advice. I hope it's not slap cheek because I am PG... Will have to take him to GP on Monday if it's no better. Just took him up to the pharmacy but they weren't sure and just said to go to doc if it's not away in a few days. I've to keep giving him the Piriton dosage in case it is an allergy and it has helped lots too. He does look a bit like the picture in the link tho sad

Thanks again

anice Sat 04-Jun-11 17:09:23

try giving him an antihistamine in the meantime - piriton for children. If it works then you will know it was an allergic reaction. If not, it won't hurt

anice Sat 04-Jun-11 17:11:02

sorry i just read your post properly. its a bad allergic reaction. Did he get bitten yesterday/ two days ago? or use a new suncream maybe?

LoopyLoopsBettyBoops Sat 04-Jun-11 17:11:05

Heat rash?

TheMonster Sat 04-Jun-11 17:13:15

Could it be wind rash on top of the allergy?

DeWe Sat 04-Jun-11 21:54:42

Another vote for slapped cheek. Piriton can help with that anyway.
The chances are you've already had slapped cheek (possibly mildly) as a child and will be fine. Child I nannied had it really badly when I was pregnant and despite spending a lot of time with her, I didn't catch it. The doctor said I'd probably already had it.

flussymummy Mon 06-Jun-11 23:10:09

My DD had a very similar thing this week and it disappeared within a few hours of taking antihistamine - our pharmacist reckoned it was an allergic reaction to suncream.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: