Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken Pox More than Once?

(13 Posts)
busyhouseof8 Sat 04-Jun-11 11:39:04

Has anybody heard of getting chicken pox more than once.

All my 3 children had chicken pox as babies. Now aged 12, 10 and 8 and all are covered on their torsos and arms with a rash, getting worse and spreading day by day.

Just took thenm to the walk in GP and saw the nurse who said it looks like chicken pox, although at the moment there are no blisters. There is apparently an outbreak in Chelmsford.

Can you get it more than once? I've look on the net but each site gives a different answer.

Thanks

lorisparkle Sat 04-Jun-11 14:21:08

My DH swears that he had it more than once and from what I read it is rare but often genetic that you can have it more than once. Piriton is great for the itching and so are bicarbonate of soda baths - although I am sure you know about all of that having been through it three times already! Hope they are not too poorly with it

MadamMemoo Sat 04-Jun-11 14:22:36

My 12yo has just had it for the 2nd time. She first had it when she was 3.

Madlizzy Sat 04-Jun-11 14:28:24

I had it first when I was 12, then again when I was 32.

busyhouseof8 Sat 04-Jun-11 15:18:37

I never did bicarbonate of soda baths the first time round - how much do I put in?

Madlizzy Sat 04-Jun-11 15:44:30

A good shake. Stick 10 drops of lavender essential oil in too. Really brings the redness down.

vintageteacups Sat 04-Jun-11 16:25:38

My DS had it extremely mildly when he was a small baby and I think as I was exclusively bf him, he didn't have it properly. Then he got it properly when he was 2.

Meglet Sat 04-Jun-11 16:29:40

Yes. Both of mine had it mildy as babies. Was confirmed by the GP.

They both had a second, much nastier dose of it this Jan / Feb, they are 4 & 2.

RockStockandTwoOpenBottles Sat 04-Jun-11 16:33:04

My DS had it twice. Quite mildly at around 12m and then properly at 3ish.

Potassium Permanganate in the bath is good for itching as well.

Twiga Sat 04-Jun-11 16:40:29

Our eldest dd has had twice. First time spots mild but other symptoms more severe, second time spotty as a spotty thing but less sick with it iyswim. Diagnosis confirmed both times.

wonkylegs Sun 05-Jun-11 14:07:33

Yep you can get it more than once...some people (rare) don't get an immunity to it. Some people get it twice an no more (only mild exposure 1st time) others never become immune.

I've never developed an immunity and this is now a problem as I'm on immuno suppressants for something else, which makes it very dangerous for me to be exposed to it. (i've had my 3yr old immunised against it to reduce my chances of exposure)

Dr's can check whether or not you have developed immunity but usually don't because in most people it is an unpleasant but not life threatening condition. So they will probably never be tested unless its for something else.
Sorry to hear yours seem to be unlucky, hope it goes away soon

bubbleymummy Sun 05-Jun-11 17:57:09

Apparently you are more likely to catch it a second time if you first have it before 4 years old.

sneezecakesmum Sun 05-Jun-11 20:10:38

You can get it more than once, some people just dont seem to build a good immunity to it. It is unusual though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: