Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can anybody diagnose ds's stomach pain?

(5 Posts)
seeker Sat 04-Jun-11 08:07:03

My ds is 10. He is very fit and active and plays a lot of sport.

About once every 3 weeks or so after he has been particularly active he gets a sudden and very sharp pain very low down in his abdomen - sometimes on one side, sometimes on the other. If he sits quietly for a while it passes off and he's fine to carry on. It never lasts more than about 10 minutes It has sometimes been bad enough to make him cry - and he is not a cryer. I've always thought it was a stitch and not worried about it, but his football coach was wondering whether it could be a hernia. Is that possible? There's no lumps or anything when the pain's not there, and I haven't ever thought to check when it is. Should I be concerned? It's presumably no use taking him to the dr whent he pain's not there, is it?

seeker Sat 04-Jun-11 10:07:26

Anyone?

vintageteacups Sat 04-Jun-11 16:30:48

It is still useful taking him as the doctor will his tummy to check if it's distended/has lumps anywhere etc.

DD has an umbilical hernia that causes her pain when exercising but unless you knew where it was, you wouldn't necessarily find it. Her tummy button goes hard and blue sometimes though so that gives it away.

I would defo take him to the GP and find out.

PaperView Sat 04-Jun-11 16:36:18

There are lots of things it could be, and lots of things that it probably isn't. Only a GP will know for sure.

unfitmother Sat 04-Jun-11 16:38:16

A GP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now