Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

No energy or spark, high temps

(14 Posts)
josiecat Fri 03-Jun-11 21:59:59

Dd(8) had flu at Xmas and hasn't really been completely well since. She's lacked energy for a while & I've thought a few times she'd picked up other viruses as she's been so tired, not wanting to play or move, just lie down. It has been worse for a few weeks, it seemed to build up & she just lost all her spark. She's had thyroid problems in the past and we really thought it might be that again but her blood test was ok. She had high temps last week. Dr said she had a throat infection & gave ab's. During this week we've been on holiday but it's like she's drugged. Can hardly keep her eyes open & struggling to walk anywhere, aching legs. We've finished the course of ab's but now her temp has shot up again. We've been giving her calpol and sponging her since this am. Now giving ibuprofen too. Her temps been down to 37.5 after this but then is back up to 38-39.5. I'm thinking of taking her to a&e if she's no better tomorrow. Is this over reacting? I don't want to waste nhs resources but I do feel something is wrong.

vintageteacups Fri 03-Jun-11 23:14:23

Definitely take her to A & E.

Doesn't sound right at all and they certainly won't think you're wasting NHS resources. I would keep an eye on her througout the night tonight too.

Hope she gets better soon smile

In fact, I'd be tempted to take her tonight if she is that lethargic.

Elibean Sat 04-Jun-11 10:49:35

I would go to A&E today. Doesn't sound right to me either.

Get well soon your dd smile

vintageteacups Sat 04-Jun-11 17:05:03

How did your dd get on Josie?

josiecat Sat 04-Jun-11 18:34:23

We took her to a&e this am. Her temp came down during night but was up again this am. She's staying in tonight. They've taken bloods & we'll get dome results tonight & in am so tomorro we should know more. I'm heading back soon with pj's etc. Starting to wish I'd done more sooner. Hope we get news soon. Thanks all.

Elibean Sat 04-Jun-11 20:09:20

Ah Josie, we all wish we'd done things differently once we've done them - it goes with parenthood I think! You DID take her last week, and followed GP's instructions with the ABs. Now its come back/gone on, you've taken her again: so well done, and please don't give yourself a hard time smile
I'm glad she's getting some medical attention - hope there's an easy answer and she's on the mend soon. Please let us know when you can.

vintageteacups Sat 04-Jun-11 22:47:23

Hope she's feeling better soon.

josiecat Sun 05-Jun-11 22:09:39

Suddenly it's got scarier. We have a bone marrow biopsy tomorrow as they suspect leukaemia. Any experience/advice to share would be very helpful.

vintageteacups Sun 05-Jun-11 22:14:22

Oh gosh josie - that's awful for you and your dd and family.

I hope she's okay and that it's not leukaemia.

I know there's nothing I can say to make you not worry but I hope it all works out for you.

vintageteacups Wed 08-Jun-11 20:19:21

Hi Josiecat - how is you dd today? Are you okay? smile

Elibean Thu 09-Jun-11 10:34:59

Sweetheart, I'm so sorry - what a scary time. I'm guessing by now you have had some feedback from the docs, and I hope its good - if it *is8 leukaemia, hang in there: post again and I'm sure lots of people will be able to help with tips and positive stories - I remember threads in the past that have worked this way, and mums on here with kids recovering from/recovered from leuakaemia. I have a friend whose little boy had it, aged 2.5 - he's about 11 now and sporty, fit and drop dead gorgeous.

Crossing fingers for you meantime.

josiecat Thu 09-Jun-11 12:56:45

Hi again. Were still in but good news from biopsy, nothing found. Blood counts still low so had transfusions. Starting to feel a little better. Might just be a nasty virus. Hope we can go home soon.

Elibean Thu 09-Jun-11 14:55:54

Phew! So glad smile

Here's to feeling better and more good news.

vintageteacups Thu 09-Jun-11 20:38:25

So glad they didn't find anything - big relief for you.

Hope it all means your dd can go home real soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now