Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Measles in France and booster jab?

(22 Posts)
jasperc163 Tue 31-May-11 14:35:26

Can anyone advise what is the thinking on this? DD2 had measles jab at 16 months (single not MMR) and is now 2.2 yrs. Are authorities saying that people holidaying in france should be vaccinating with 2 jabs (even though not technically time for a booster yet) or not? I fully realise that the role of the 2nd jab is not to boost but to mop up the ones the first jab didn't work for.

I would prefer to wait and do MMR at 4 (as I did with DD1) but obviously don't want to take unnecessary risks.

thanks

jasperc163 Tue 31-May-11 14:48:58

actually date wrong above - done at 20 months (6 months ago)

Seona1973 Tue 31-May-11 17:32:50

the first jab leaves up to 10% unprotected and the second one brings that percentage down. If you are going to France then I would probably have the second one early to improve the chances of not catching it.

jasperc163 Tue 31-May-11 18:29:54

thanks Seona,

Anyone else had this conversation with their GP? Or anyone who has used singles - is it true that the efficacy rate of the first jab is likely to have been higher than MMR?

I am not willing to do MMR until she is older so if I do it now i will have to get another single done, which is not ideal

We are going to Bordeaux area which doesn't seem to be one of the hotspots.

rockinhippy Wed 01-Jun-11 18:33:07

DD has had the single jab, but down to other health problems & her been run down at the time mobile clinic has been in town - that & advice of School & clinic nurses saying to wait until she's 100% well - she has not had her boosters - she's been exposed to measles & mumps several times over the years (lots don't immunise around here) & we've travelled quite a bit with her too & she has been fine -

she is now 8 - so if thats anything to go by you should be fine waiting.

That said currently not 100% certain she doesn't now have Rubella - she wasn't immunised against that at all, as we were told she had it at 9 months & so would already have anti bodies - just got back from seeing a GP who seemed reluctant to give us a straight answer - bar, we'll treat it as a virus & see what happens confused

silverfrog Wed 01-Jun-11 18:36:24

you could always ask for a titre test to check immunity, and then take it from there?

loretta1 Sat 04-Jun-11 20:37:55

I have not wanted to immunise my daughter generally but am now worried because of her school trip to France in in 6 weeks. Does any one have any info on the risks of immunisation (MMR specifically) if given as a teenager or any thoughts as to why I should or should not vaccinate her. Obviously she is not vaccinated against rubella either.

Thanks

tethersend Sat 04-Jun-11 20:46:55

I have just faced the same problem- went to France last week. I spoke to the GP and they gave DD (2.5) the MMR booster vaccine before we went; however, she had already had the MMR first vaccine.

Personally, I would get her the second vaccine if you can.

bubbleymummy Sat 04-Jun-11 21:25:06

Loretta, as silverfrog suggested, you could have her immunity to all 3 checked and go from there. Rubella can be very mild and mumps shows no symptoms in about 1/3 of cases so she may already be immune.

Panzee Sat 04-Jun-11 21:26:46

I got told my son didn't need it as he'd had the first one at 13 months. The nurse checked the latest guidelines.

bubbleymummy Sat 04-Jun-11 21:31:32

Also, what part of France is she travelling to? I think the outbreak is mainly in the south. In any case, 6,000 cases out if a population of over 60,000,000 isn't really that big and depending on where she's going to be the risk of catching it could be quite small.

loretta1 Sat 04-Jun-11 22:18:14

Thankyou Tethersend, Bubbleymummy, Panzee - good to know you are out there. She is travelling near Paris. Its the PGL thing that secondary schools do. How would I go about checking her immunity please and ould I do this and have her immunised (I really don't want to but...) within 6 weeks do you think? I gather that she should be immunised a month before contact if this is to provide protection. Thanks for your time Loretta

loretta1 Sat 04-Jun-11 22:21:25

Sorry for mistake 'could I do this and have her immunised' etc was what I meant to put.

AlsoAvailableSober Sat 04-Jun-11 22:23:24

There is another thread on here re early boosters. Concensus was that it is wise to get the booster and most (not all hmm) GP's are supporting it. I think you need about 6 months after the 1st one, so don't need to be 3 (when it is normally done)

AlsoAvailableSober Sat 04-Jun-11 22:25:09

here is the other thread

bubbleymummy Sat 04-Jun-11 23:56:28

Loretta, she would need to have blood taken to test her immunity. You'd have to ask how quickly the results would be back. I'm not sure how long it takes for the vaccine to give protection - I think it may be a couple of weeks and then I think the first vaccine works on 90% of people so there's no guarantee. If it's the measles outbreak you're worried about you could always get the single measles vax privately.

loretta1 Sun 05-Jun-11 08:33:18

Thank you bubbleymummy and alsoavailablesober. Is the blood test at usual GP?

I have not done any of the vaccines apart from the first three month ones and I am scared. I had measles myself as a child without problem but my son who is 15 (daughter is 13) was I feel affected by the MMR - which I did give him as a child. I have felt incapable of giving my daughter vaccines therefore. I hate these decisions. I have not given her the cervical cancer vaccine. I am given to understand that this only protects against some of the strains which can cause cervical cancer. It all feels very heavy. We suddenly got a letter from the school last week and the french trip is in 6 weeks, so I am very worried about what to do. I know that if I ring my GP, they will advise the jab (in all cases). Any further thoughts most welcome and I am really grateful for the thoughts so far.

bubbleymummy Sun 05-Jun-11 16:47:56

Loretta, I totally understand your concern. Unfortunately you arent the only mum on mumsnet whose child has reacted badly to a vaccine. (did you know there is a vaccination topic?) Why don't you look into the idea of the single measles vaccine for now if it would reassure you? You could try contacting Dr Richard Halvorsen. He has written a book about vaccines and he offers the singles privately. I think some other mners have used him and have been happy with their consultation. The blood tests can be done at the GP but you may have to pay for them (not sure) and I'm not sure how long they will take.

wickedfairy Sun 05-Jun-11 18:30:30

We are going at the end of the month to France and DD is 10 months old. She got an additional jag last week - we will be spending 3.5 weeks on a campsite with lots of small children, her brother included (he has had both MMR's).

I thought hard about it but at the end of the day, I didn't want to take her unvaccinated and for her to get ill over there. My opinion only, of course - it is entirely up to you. She has to get her normally scheduled one at 13 months and then the preschool booster too.

jasperc163 Mon 06-Jun-11 11:13:29

Loretta1 - you could just do a single measles vaccine to put your mind at rest?

Thanks for posting everyone. I am still in 2 minds given that DD has had first measles vaccine. I am not willing to do MMR until she is older so it would mean re-doing the single measles jab and then still doing MMR.

Chances are of course that first jab has taken. I suppose i could do titre ..

jasperc163 Mon 06-Jun-11 11:21:31

I have just emailed the hospital that gave my daugher the single measles jab in December to ask what their view/policy is.

bubbleymummy Mon 06-Jun-11 12:47:36

Jasper, Why would you need to give the MMR if you give the second single measles jab?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now