Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3yo with earache and flying tomorrow early morning - any advise, suggestions, tips please!

(12 Posts)
AllQuietOnThePippisFront Mon 30-May-11 22:30:43

but first of all can we fly????

the earache is fresh from bedtime, of course. no signs of it all day. last time she's had it was pretty painful. is it safe to fly and what to do to make it less painful and more bearable for her, us and the people on the plane?

tia

AllQuietOnThePippisFront Mon 30-May-11 22:49:40

pleaseeeee

RitaMorgan Mon 30-May-11 23:10:16

If she has an ear infection I don't think I'd fly... you could try dosing her up with lots of painkillers beforehand though and hoping for the best?

Popbiscuit Mon 30-May-11 23:16:55

A few years ago I had a horrible ear infection right before a flight and my doctor said that there was a chance of a burst eardrum...I risked it (with meds) and was ok but I don't know if I'd do it with a child...

celadon Mon 30-May-11 23:20:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Imnotaslimjim Mon 30-May-11 23:24:20

Get her sat near a steaming kettle or over a bowl of hot water if she's old enough, for as long as she'll manage before you fly. lots of calpol and brufen, and decongestant if she's old enough

alypaly Mon 30-May-11 23:41:30

i believe it can cause a perferated ear drum like popbiscuit said. Its painful enough flying when you have a cold and your ears are blocked but an infection could be more painful. My boyfriend was screaming with pain when the plane was on its way down and he couldnt hear for 4 days after we had landed. I would think wice about flying personally.

AllQuietOnThePippisFront Tue 31-May-11 00:06:19

she has a cold, hence the earache I think. husband took her to have her checked out at A&E and see what they say...

fairybubbles Tue 31-May-11 07:15:28

My DS is prone to ear infections and has had a perforated ear drum at least 3 times now. Each time he has been screaming in pain, inconsolable. If A and E say there is a risk of burst ear drum I personally would think hard if we really needed to fly.
Hopefully its not that serious though and you get your trip without her being in too much discomfort x

DeWe Tue 31-May-11 13:17:49

A&E for ear ache? Surely you mean out of hours?

dikkertjedap Tue 31-May-11 19:03:30

Nothing wrong with A&E IMO, many GPs are not able to diagnose an ear infection as they have insufficient training and skills in relation to this. I have had several times that GP said dd's ears were absolutely clear and paed diagnosed severe double ear infection. He explained that GPs nowadays get only very little training on these things.

AllQuietOnThePippisFront Sun 12-Jun-11 15:52:27

An update.

Husband took her to A&E (yes Dewe A&E as out of hours here closes at 9pm!) and was prescribed antibiotic and told she could fly but to expect some pain. Was also told we did well to come in as we were flying out.
Surprisingly the flight went well, pain was felt but between neurofen and antibiotics it all went well. It was good I did not fly and waited to see the dr at the other hand as it was national holiday and I would have had to go to A&E in a foreign contry... a waste of precious holiday time.

thanks to you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now