Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sore creases in DD's (lovely) chunky thighs

(24 Posts)
megcleary Mon 30-May-11 17:42:55

DD 2 is a lovely chunky baby but the creases behind her thighs are getting red ans sore.

She is 16 weeks old I have tried sudocream and liquid talc. She just wears babygros and i imaging they will improve when she is more mobile but they just look sore.

Advice appreciated.

colditz Mon 30-May-11 17:45:20

Don't use liquid talc, it balls up in the creases and becomes gritty, making the soreness worse. Try bathing her in luke warm water with baby oil in it.

FrottageCod Mon 30-May-11 18:09:32

Sudocrem?

Snuppeline Mon 30-May-11 18:17:25

Put sudocrem/acquous cream on until the sore part has healed then use a bit of E45 there after baths. The sore bits have probably arisen due to moisture being trapped and then moist skin being rubbed when she's moving. Just make sure she's completely dry in her creases and she'll heal perfectly. She sounds delish by the way (love chunky baby thighs!!)

megcleary Mon 30-May-11 18:18:04

Cheers for the oil tip, does the sudocream? mean what is sudocream as we have been trying it but not much improvement.

mousymouse Mon 30-May-11 18:20:36

with ds I cleaned the groves with olive oil which seemed to help.

funnybumblebee Mon 30-May-11 19:20:23

When my DD had this I just massaged her with lots of baby oil and it went away- check behind ears and under arms as well as DD had it there too!

megcleary Mon 30-May-11 21:50:55

Her ears are cracked too behind them under arms ok so far, poor love looks so sore

FrottageCod Mon 30-May-11 23:32:26

Sorry, I didn't understand your post of 18:18.

Although Sudocrem is the market leading nappy rash cream, you might not know it can also be used as a soothing, protective antiseptic cream for other skin conditions:
Cuts and grazes
Minor burns
Sunburn
Eczema
Acne
Bed sores
Chilblains
Sudocrem Antiseptic Healing Cream is gentle, so it won’t sting on application. It can reduce the risk of infection and contains a mild local anaesthetic to soothe pain. It also helps a wound to heal and forms a protective barrier over the vulnerable area. In other words, it’s a very useful tub to keep around the house!

The above is from their website - sudocem

Galena Tue 31-May-11 15:55:07

Frottage, in the original poat she says: 'She is 16 weeks old I have tried sudocream and liquid talc.'

So I think she was puzzled by your comment at 18:09, and wondered if you didn't know what sudocrem was...

megcleary Tue 31-May-11 18:09:15

Thank you for explaining me Galena, Sudocream rules this house, but does not seem to be helping much here.

Bonsoir Tue 31-May-11 18:13:45

Give her a daily bath (using a super mild moisturising wash) and dry the creases very well afterwards with a clean towel. Water and/or bacteria in the creases will cause irritation.

megcleary Tue 31-May-11 18:18:17

And put no cream on it Bonsoir?

Bonsoir Tue 31-May-11 18:25:13

It would depend on how sore it was - if you need a drop of sudocreme, that's fine, just make sure that you have completely washed and dried the area first.

megcleary Tue 31-May-11 18:45:26

Well the rash is either side of the creases now so maybe a touch.

FrottageCod Tue 31-May-11 21:01:28

oh sorry! note to self - read things properly!

Pipnik Tue 31-May-11 22:39:24

Bepanthen worked for my chunky little monkey!

LakeFlyPie Tue 31-May-11 22:46:40

DS2 had this recently.
Thorough drying after bath and a smear of Lansinoh worked overnight smile

HappyAsASandboy Tue 31-May-11 23:09:56

I haven't been that impressed with sudocrem, but have found that Metanium clears nappy rash really quickly. Might be worth a go?

megcleary Wed 01-Jun-11 10:21:57

I don't need it for nappy rash I need it for want of a better word "chaffage"!

bringinghomethebacon Wed 01-Jun-11 10:25:07

We used Lansinoh for DD1's very sore creases. She was a very overdue baby (18 days) and all her creases wrists, ankles legs etc were very dry and sore. However, one crease got a rash and for that one we had to get a special cream from the doctors, I can't remember what it was called but the pharmacist looked at her and said we needed to go to the doctors to get something on prescription. So worth getting a pharmacist to look at it I would say, or maybe a health visitor?

blondepinhead Wed 01-Jun-11 10:42:55

DD gets this behind her knees, I've tried everything but it keeps coming back and she's nearly 16 months!

Agree with those who say to keep the area clean and dry, so gently wash at least once a day in the summer (the heat exacerbates it something chronic). You can use a gentle wash but avoid anything with Sodium Laureth/Lauryl Sulphate in as it's drying and irritating, particularly to already sensitive skin.

Dry thoroughly but don't use talc. Then I apply a thin layer of Kamillosan Ointment. I guess anything of the same consistency will work (vaseline etc) but the Chamomile seems to soothe the irritation faster. Or it could be that I just like the pretty tube...

GP hasn't been much help in our case I'm afraid. However definitely go to your GP, they might be able to prescribe something to clear it up quickly.

Hope your DD's skin clears up soon!

florenceuk Wed 01-Jun-11 10:54:47

Are you sure it is not ezcema if her ears are cracked as well?

HappyAsASandboy Sat 04-Jun-11 02:25:03

I would have though that the redness in the creases is very similar to nappy rash in that the area gets a bit moist and rubs. I would always try the nappy creams first for things like this as they're unlikely to make it worse and might avoid a more severe treatment. Obviously if it doesn't clear it in a day or so, another solution is needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now