Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

think ds1 may have measles. worried. please tell me what else it could be?

(4 Posts)
MamaChocoholic Sun 29-May-11 18:00:57

ds1 (3.3) had a bit of a cough in the week - we were wondering if he was getting hayfever. then he has lost his appetite since friday. when he has eaten it has been followed by an episode of going pale, hot and shivery and saying he has tummy ache. he has been at his dad's yesterday and today and has come back with a red rash, densest on his arms, but also round mouth, on ears, body.

the lack of persistent temperature makes me hope it's not measles, but he's had first MMR, so could be a mild dose? am worried just in case because we have 7 month old twins. waiting for nhs direct to call back, but what else could it be?

meditrina Sun 29-May-11 22:35:15

Measles rash is typified by starting on the head (usually behind the ears) and then it spreads down the body - it starts as little red spots which then merge to become a big blotches.

I suggest to ring NHS Direct, so you know you're talking to someone qualified and discuss with them exactly the rash and other symptoms.

sneezecakesmum Sun 29-May-11 22:53:00

look up measles on NHS choices. the lack of fever would make me think not. its also characterised by pinky eyes. I think the rash is pinky brown??

Probably its that good old standby a viral rash! Still not nice for your babies no matter what it is.

It may be worth speaking to the OOH dr with regard to identification. If is viral theres nothing much you can do to stop the others getting it a.

MamaChocoholic Mon 30-May-11 18:37:16

thanks both. spoke to ooh gp last night and don't think it's measles (although she had me googling for info as she couldn't get online - shouldn't she know this stuff?). rash all over today and he's a bit out of sorts so mystery virus, but it's not horrible, phew. although dt2 is now starting with a temperature so I think we have a bit of a week ahead. just hoping I stay well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now