Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS (22 months) got really nasty chicken pox, one might be infected. Do I need to do anything?

(8 Posts)
suwoo Sun 29-May-11 14:40:32

DS2 has a fairly severe case of chicken pox sad. He has two in his ear that have joined together and are a bit black and there seems to be pus there. Should I take him to the out of hours Dr? (I appreciate he may represent a danger to pregnant women etc, hence my reluctance).

Do they give anti-biotics/ anti-virals for this?

Oh, I've rung NHS Direct but its four hours for a call back today.

Imnotaslimjim Sun 29-May-11 15:27:10

They do give anti-virals if they're very bad, my DD had a bad case at christmas.

Call the OOH, and see what they say, chances are you'll get a home visit to reduce the risk of passing it on

SmallBlue Sun 29-May-11 15:53:19

My friends DS aged 5 had a very bad case of chickenpox but after a time some were looking infected and not healing. The GP diagnosed impetigo which is more common in preschool children. It was easily treated and gone within a few days, but highly contagious. Be careful with not sharing towels, bedding, and allowing other siblings to be too close until you see the GP.

MmeLindor. Sun 29-May-11 15:56:58

I would call the OOH and ask if they would do a home visit, and if not what their procedures are for reducing risk to other patients is.

Some docs have a separate entrance for contagious DC

suwoo Sun 29-May-11 16:47:49

I have spoken to OOH and we have an appointment to be seen in a side room. Will let you know.

MmeLindor. Sun 29-May-11 23:06:32

How is he doing, Suwoo?

suwoo Mon 30-May-11 00:59:25

Sorry. It was infected so he has cream. He's not too bad in himself, which is probably down to the piriton and calpol cocktail he is taking.

Why is there no vaccine for chicken pox?

MmeLindor. Mon 30-May-11 10:07:46

Poor little chap.

There is a vaccine, but it is not paid for by the NHS. We paid privately in Germany to have our DC vaccinated.

There are some who say it is better to let them have chicken pox as it is normally a mild illness, but it isn't always. As you have seen.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: