Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Confusion about France measles outbreak and immunisation

(6 Posts)
MtnBikeChick Sun 29-May-11 12:52:55

Hi there
I appreciate posting here isn't a replacement for speaking to my GP (which I intend to do as soon as I can) but I just wondered if anyone out there was in the same position as me and confused by the news last week of the measles outbreak in France. The reports in the media said people shouldn't travel to France with children that have not yet had MMR/measles vaccination. We are going to France (southern - Pyrenees) a few days before our son's first birthday, so he won't have had his MMR before we go. Does anyone know what the advice is? Should babies be immunised before traveling to France? I am really conscious of the massive public health issue involved with not immunising a child against this awful disease....and also the risk to my son of contracting it.
Anyone looked into this yet, with holidays to France in mind? Thanks so much

wickedfairy Sun 29-May-11 14:36:04

We are in the same boat as you - There are a few threads on here already about this, let's see if I can manage to link to them:

this

and this

My DD is almost 10 months old and she had an additional MMR on Friday - we are going to France next month for a month, and obviously she is too young for the scheduled MMR that you get at 13months. I have been told she still needs to have this one anyway, ensuring that there is at least 3 months between this and the next (scheduled) injection. Something about how they don't get the full benefit of the injection at the younger ages, only from 12/13 months onwards - so she still has to stick to the immunisation plan.

IMO (and NHS direct, etc said the same) that some immunity is better than none - there will be other children around, even if the baby is not mixing (older siblings, people at shops/beach, etc), so I opted for the injection in the hope that it will provide her with some immunity. HTH

sneezecakesmum Sun 29-May-11 23:05:50

Personally I would have either the MMR or a single measles jab (depending on your issues!) before travelling.

sneezecakesmum Sun 29-May-11 23:06:27

PS it is very bad in france in partcular and measles is highly infectious.

tb Tue 07-Jun-11 19:11:42

Hi,

I live in sw France south of Limoges, and, although nowhere near the Pyrenees, locally there hasn't been talk of any problems. Dd (13) didn't have MMR in the UK before we left, and separate vaccinations are available here.

Hth

Vivaldisbetterhalf Thu 09-Jun-11 23:19:59

might be worth checking the percentage of people who contracted measles who have been vaccinated, as I believe that it's a bit of a lottery depending on individual susceptibility - my neighbour's 19 year old daughter returned from Paris with a full-blown dose never having been vaccinated, but recovered fine. My three year old has had no jabs, and I confess to feeling quite nervous at the thought of his possible exposure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now