Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help! DS has bashed his front teeth in.

(8 Posts)
cadelaide Sun 29-May-11 09:47:02

It happened last night, he was playing outside and fell on a log. He's 4, they're his front teeth.

They haven't come out, but they were sort of pushed back just after it happened and I had to straighten them. This morning his gums looked bruised and have been bleeding a tiny bit just up around where they meet the teeth.

Is he going to lose them d'you think? Is there any possibility of long term damage?

(He's not in any great pain, has managed to eat this morning and I plan to take him to the dentist when they re-open on Tuesday)

cadelaide Sun 29-May-11 09:56:20

Oh heck, I've googled. They won't go black, will they?

trumpton Sun 29-May-11 10:05:10

My DD2 did the same thing at the same age. She had to have them taken out but her 2nd teeth came through fine. It's horrible but they might refix themselves. Best to leave Google alone grin. It always gives you the worst case scenario.

littleomar Sun 29-May-11 10:08:22

mine did this. they both went grey initially. one of them went back to normal, the other is an attractive grey (he thinks it's cool that he's got a "green" tooth). second teeth should be OK apparently - i'm sure your dentist will reassure you.

Champagneforlunch Sun 29-May-11 20:36:37

Dd's did this when she was 5 or 6 thought they were going to come out but they went grey for a bit then re fixed themselves. Her big teeth came in as normal after a year with no damage. Dentist did check at the time and said there may have been a problem but only when the new teeth were coming through and just t keep an eye on it.
I did it too at about the same age as your son but I lost mine took a long time for the new one but they were fine and straight.

sneezecakesmum Sun 29-May-11 23:03:47

Keep an eye on their straightness over the next few weeks. They should re embed themselves quite nicely, though they may discolour. The bruising should fade. See a dentist if you are worried. The only serious thing could be the tooth breaking below the gumline but this is unlikely but not impossible. This happened to my 2 yo DD and broke her tooth off but a bit remained for a couple of years til the dentist realised there was a bit of tooth causing the repeated red lump which kept coming and going! She fell face forward onto a concrete step because my tit of a H thought she could walk up a step taller than her legs!

cadelaide Sun 29-May-11 23:49:28

Thanks all. He bumped his face again today (I'm not beating him, honest), just brushed it against the table edge really, and his gums bled a tiny bit again.

Lots of reassurance here though! smile

CharlieBoo Mon 30-May-11 12:11:51

You really really need to take him to a dentist asap! My dd did this at 16 months old....I don't want to scare you, but she actually broke the bone that holds her top teeth in place. Her two front two were so wobbly, and her gum very damaged, she needed anti biotics.....please get him seen ASAP. She is 2 now and still has both teeth but one is coming out...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: