Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

12 year old's recurring "funny spells".

(7 Posts)
Bronte Sat 28-May-11 22:04:40

For the past 12 months she has experienced odd episodes. She says she feels warm, disorientated, feels as if she might be sick but never is. She kind of heaves and coughs and that's it.
I can't really see an obvious trigger. They happen at home and school.
We took her to the doctors but blood tests didn't show anything.
She has always been a rather anxious individual. Maybe there's some subconscious trigger to what sounds like a kind of panic attack?

TimeWasting Sat 28-May-11 22:11:26

For the three months before my periods started I had a regular vomiting episode and my sis used to get very nauseous when on her period at that age, might it coincide with a hormonal spike?

Bronte Sat 28-May-11 22:25:49

Yes.. I have considered the hormonal link. Thanks,

rockinhippy Sat 28-May-11 23:12:31

Have you thought of migraine??? - especially relevant if any of the rest of the family have it??

it doesn't have to come with a headache, & kids apparently get different symptoms to adults (just been reading up on it as regards my own DD) - it can be hormonal too, but can also be triggered by stress, certain foods, or even the weather - might be something to look into??

Bronte Sun 29-May-11 13:00:24

Thanks for the migraine suggestion...could certainly be a possibility. The fact that she feels a strange sensation, which she finds quite scary, could be something to do with an "aura" ?

rockinhippy Sun 29-May-11 13:36:23

good migraine site with kids section here

The site above was recommended to my by my migraine nuro - I think she might have a hand in it too, lots of info that might help you & DD work out if its a likely cause

& yes, even as an adult that used to it, sometimes the Aura symptoms can be pretty bizarre & scary

good luck smile

mumslife Mon 30-May-11 09:15:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: