Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Undescended Testicle

(8 Posts)
DuelingFanjo Sat 28-May-11 21:41:21

I've found lots of useful threads RE the operation my son may have to have because of his undescended testicle but I wondered... he is 5 months old and still no sign of it dropping. Is it at all usual for it to drop some point between now and a year old? I really hate the idea of him having to have an operation so am willing it down but wonder if I am most likely going to have to accept that he will need the OP

TIA.

MarionCole Sat 28-May-11 21:46:07

DS's didn't drop. He had the op when he was just over one. I'm not going to deny it, it was the most terrifying and most stressful hour of my life. But he recovered extremely quickly and is now absolutely fine.

DuelingFanjo Sat 28-May-11 21:52:39

thank you Marion. Is that all it takes - an hour? One seems so little for any kind of op sad

MarionCole Sat 28-May-11 22:21:52

It did take about an hour, maybe a little more. I held him while they administered the anaesthetic then he fell asleep in my arms. It was terrifying sad.Then he was back on the ward but asleep. We sat with him then, probably took him another hour or so to wake up. Once they could see him walking properly we were allowed to leave (so, actually, he must have been about 18 months). He was whacked up on painkillers and never complained at all about being sore even though he was black and blue. We were told to keep him off ride on toys for a week and to wear loose clothes. He was absolutely fine but I agree, they seem so small to have a general anaesthetic.

MarionCole Sat 28-May-11 22:24:03

He has two scars - a long but very fine line in one of his natural creases and then a more noticeable short one on his scrotum.

imawigglyworm Sat 28-May-11 22:34:35

hi Dueling, My ds has had the op too at about 8 months (but it was also an op for 2 hernias aswell). I was stressing like hell!
I think the worst for him was he couldnt eat for a while. The anaesthetic wasnt pleasant IMO. DS was back about 1 1/2 hrs later and once he had woken up and eaten/had a drink they let us home.
I was really worried about recovery but he was absolutely fine and again was told the same as marion. The first few days looked bad with the bruising but he healed so quickly. I can only see fine lines for his hernia scars and dont really notice his scars on his scrotum.
It is scary someone so little having to go through that but im glad he did at a young age, I dont think his older Ds's would of coped so well if they went through that.

DuelingFanjo Sat 28-May-11 22:58:37

thank you both. So you think it's better when they are young? I had thought about delaying it but maybe it would be better at a young age. How did you cope with the no food thing? I am pretty sure I will still be breastfeeding at one and it would be awful to have to deny him that sad

MarionCole Sat 28-May-11 23:07:31

At least when they are young they have no idea what is going on.

The no food thing was difficult. DS didn't go in until mid-afternoon and he wasn't allowed any food after breakfast. We were in a waiting area full of starving children in for day ops! I'm not sure you would be allowed to BF him.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: