Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is DC 2 likely to follow with allergies/asthma/eczema

(13 Posts)
NomadInNowhere Sat 28-May-11 20:34:24

We have a 19 month old DD who has suffered a lot with Eczema,allergies and asthma like attacks since she was about 4 months old. Although this have dramatically improved since she turned 12 months, I wondered if our next DC on the way is likely to suffer too with the same problems?
Has anyone with 2+ children had th same issues with both?

NomadInNowhere Sat 28-May-11 20:35:03

Sorry for typos above*

HattiFattner Sat 28-May-11 20:37:47

i have 3 kids.

Only the middle one is atopic. he's had all 4 allergic type reactions - urticaria, asthma, hayfever and eczema.

DD occassionally gets sniffly in the summer, but not so badly that she needs meds.

in our family, its the boys that suffer, not the girls.

foxinsocks Sat 28-May-11 20:39:32

yes ours have the same

but if I look at me and my siblings, 2/3 have asthma, all 3 of us have skin issues but in different ways and we all have allergies to differing degrees

do both you and dh/dp have allergy issues? I think that's one of the key things. Both dh and I have allergies/eczema/asthma so in a way, it seems inevitable that both ours have them too.

foxinsocks Sat 28-May-11 20:40:32

what really got me was that they both had reflux. That I found annoying lol.

tigercametotea Sat 28-May-11 20:43:13

I have 3 DCs, all of them are prone to skin reactions though to varying degrees. Though I think me having a strong family history of eczema and allergies has a lot to do with my DCs all having it to some extent. DD1 had it the worst - since she was 3 weeks old, she'd had the worst outbreaks of eczema ever. Its been under control since she was about 7-ish, she's now nearly 9... but there are still some patches which flare up every summer (seems to be the hot weather that triggers this)... DD2 - less so, hers only really started about 2 years after stopping bf-ing - I think bf-ing really helps the kids avoid eczema in my case - but still, once she gets a flare up she needs something stronger than just a hydrocortisone to get it to settle down - Eumovate worked well for her flare ups so far. DS has it too, and it only started after he stopped bf-ing... but its not too bad. We are careful now and only using products which are skin-friendly to them. We've learnt a lot on managing eczema after DD1's experiences...

ggirl Sat 28-May-11 20:44:46

if being atopic runs in your family then this articel that someone linked to the other day may be of interest here,wish I'd known about this

Meglet Sat 28-May-11 20:46:32

Mine are different. 4yo DS developed nasty eczema as a baby and has been diagnosed with severe kiwi fruit and pine nut allergies.

2yo DD's skin was fine (if a bit dry at times) and so far she can eat what she wants. Only tomato juice on the skin seems to affect her, while DS has grown out of that.

No allergies in the family, both whipped out by cs, 2 month stab at bf for DS but a good 4 months of ex bf for DD.

Niecie Sat 28-May-11 20:48:37

I think statistically 1st borns are more likely to have allergies than subsequent children - here. That is a recent study but I seem to remember that theory from when DS1 was born 10 yrs ago. It doesn't look like it makes a huge difference and genetics and environment obviously have a role too. 2nd borns are more likely to get infections although this seems to be obvious given that the elder child will bring home illnesses and infect the younger child.

tigercametotea Sat 28-May-11 20:51:49

Niecie, that's an interesting statistic. Come to think of it, I'm the first-born in my family and I have it the worst. And my first-born too has the most allergies compared to the others... so yes perhaps there's some truth in that.

NomadInNowhere Sat 28-May-11 20:56:03

Thankyou. Only DH had some allergies/hayfever/eczema when he was young but I don't think it was bad like our DD. I didn't suffer from any of these things. I think I have learnt alot too from DD's experiences but found that the GP's were reluctant to do anything much about them(kept giving us aqueus cream!) so we ended up in hospital with her at 4 months covered with infected eczema,being sick and breathing issues. We were then referred to a dermotologist,paediatrician and dietician who helped us enormously and put her on prescription milk and steroid creams.
Just don't want to end up with the same thing happening to our next one and the GP not taking any notice.
We still have problems now with DD every now and again have to rush her into A and E but have finally been given an inhalor which helps. Every now and again she has a nasty allergic reaction though which seems to come out of nowhere which can be pretty frightening.

foxinsocks Sat 28-May-11 21:06:20

the thing is nomad, even if you do get it again, it makes such a difference that you have gained the knowledge you have done with dd1. You look at it with such different eyes the second time round and I found doctors took me a lot more seriously with the 2nd one (knowing full well I'd been through it once before).

I know that probably doesn't sound very reassuring smile. Fingers crossed it's not the case.

NomadInNowhere Sat 28-May-11 21:08:30

Thats very true fox. I think also it was harder for me to understand because I had never experienced it before so hopefully you are right! I think I will know what to look out for this time. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: