Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is it ok for toddlers Sats to be 92 ?

(12 Posts)
LargeGlassofRed Thu 26-May-11 17:45:14

have another thread as well, dt1 has viral pneumonia and was in hospital last week, yesterday his sats were 94 today 93/92.
His chest sounds clear although breathing fast snd very pale.
Gp thinks he should be fine, but I'm worried. But don't want to come across as an over protective paranoid mother!

Galena Thu 26-May-11 18:43:15

If you're concerned, call the hospital's children's department and ask them since you were in last week. They won't mind and he'll be checked out if they feel he needs to be. Health professionals prefer to see a child too often than too late.

Sirzy Thu 26-May-11 19:10:32

I agree with Galena, if worried get a second opinion. If he was in hospital last week then you won't come across as over protective and paranoid.

FWIW I don't have a lot of faith in GPs with it comes to babies and toddlers chests, the ones I have seen always seem to miss things. Not saying this is the case with your GP but don't necessarily take his word as gospel if your not happy.

Galena Thu 26-May-11 19:41:05

<waves at Sirzy - I agreed with you on the other thread and you agreed with me here... Great minds think alike!>

smudgethepuppydog Thu 26-May-11 19:45:17

Fast breathing is a sign of decreased oxygen in the blood. If DT1's breathing is rapid it's a sign they need to be seen. It is not ok to have rapid breathing.

(mum of two chronic asthmatics but not a doc, the above is what DD's consultant tells me)

Sirzy Thu 26-May-11 19:49:13

<waves back at Galena> I think we both have to much unwanted experience in this area!

LargeGlassofRed Thu 26-May-11 19:59:28

Thank-you, the hospital discharge note says we can see you up to 24 hours after discharge, after that please call gp or out of hours.

He's fast asleep at the moment breathing not as fast about 42 times a minute.
will check him every half hour in if it gets any worse take him in,

wish I had a sats monitor then i could check him

mummytopebs Fri 27-May-11 14:08:23

I would still ring the hospital for advice. I dont think the hospital would be happy with a sats reading of 92. They can still give you advice but if they want you to go back in you would have to be referred by gp or a and e again instead of straight to the ward. Hope he is feeling better soon.

needstosleepmore Fri 27-May-11 14:50:12

Sats should be 92% and above so i'd get him checked out if i were you as from what you've said they have been on the low side. If we had a child that had sats of 92 we would monitor to see if they were picking up or not as if they are dropping below 92 frequently and not picking up then they may need oxygen. I will say though that I find drs (especially GPs) often use the wrong probes to check sats on children and babies which will affect the reading. Also if a child is moving around a lot, crying etc you may not get a very good reading either. It's worth getting him checked out again though.

needstosleepmore Fri 27-May-11 14:57:43

Just saw your other thread and seen you went to a&e, glad he's getting better.

LargeGlassofRed Sat 28-May-11 20:47:24

Thanks all, he's so much better now. Breathing much better and eating more, thanks for all the help and advise x

Galena Sat 28-May-11 22:39:30

Glad to hear he's feeling better!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: