Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sumatriptan for children (migraine)

(2 Posts)
Lynnejh Thu 26-May-11 17:43:37

DS (9 years old) has had 3 particulary bad headaches in the last 10 days.

Took him to doctors taken and have been prescribed half a tablet of Sumatriptan if another attack happens.

Got home and googled and everywhere seems to state for children over 12 years.

anybody elses child under 12 taken this?

thanks

rockinhippy Fri 27-May-11 13:23:00

Can't help with Sumiptripan & Children, other than I personally reacted badly to it, so wouldn't feel comfortable giving it to my own DD

Have you thought of more natural treatments though??

you can buy oxygen canisters online & breathing pure oxygen can halt or minimise an attack - I found mine on e-bay for £16 - you can sometimes get this prescribed for migraine, but will need a migraine nurologist to prescribe it, so you might want to try for a referral.

Also weirdly - a small spoonful of mustard - will kill a migraine for several hours - last about 4 for me (discovered accidently & checked online & its an old wives remedy that works smile )

Also "Feverfew" is a herbal preventative, you need to take it daily, but I would recommend seeing a herbalist, or at least a homeopath that can safely advise on the right dose for a child

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: