Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS (6yrs) has TERRIBLE breath. Any suggestions (already tried dentist)

(6 Posts)
CaptainJackSparrowIsMine Thu 26-May-11 17:40:43

The dentist was really dismissive, he did all but pat me on the head and tell me to stop being a silly, fussy mother. I thought it was a pretty sensible place to start, checking his teeth were ok <grrrr> Anyway he said ds's teeth are perfect.
What can I try next? He does brush his teeth morning and night but his breath is really vile, poor thing!

KurriKurri Thu 26-May-11 18:36:42

I think I would try the GP - various things other than teeth can cause bad breath - constipation, tonsil/adenoids/ sinuses etc.

gordonpym Thu 26-May-11 20:30:11

Does he eat a lot of meat? or eggs? fish? Well, protein? Does he drink enough? try to increase his water intake to 6 full glasses per day ( 1 glass at 8, 1 at 10, and so on). A lot of protein and little water create acetone, which is common cause for bad breath.

CaptainJackSparrowIsMine Fri 27-May-11 10:40:39

Thanks for the replies - Gordon he is at school so it's hard to monitor his water intake but I do make sure he finishes drinks at meal times.
Kurri Kurri - I think I may do that next, just a bit hesitant after the dentist was such a tool about it!

rockinhippy Fri 27-May-11 13:13:12

I would say you need a GP visit with him too

We had the same problem with DD for a while & her teeth were fine when then too - our GP did check her over & said that she had quite large adenoids, which can be normal for some kids, but can mean food gets trapped & can cause this problem, but nothing to worry about & she'd probably grow out of it.

It DID improve & eventually went all together, but does come back from time to time - after years of it, I've noticed it comes as a precursor to DDs IBS problems flaring up - the day before she kicks off with stomach pain & diareah - her breath will smell - so even though not diagnosed as such, I personally feel there is a link with DDs stomach problems

So - it might be nothing more than his adenoids (or tonsils) having a faster growth spurt than he has, so trapping food - & he will "catch up" & grow out of it, or it could be a sign of something else, though I doubt anything serious, so don't worry, just have a word with your GP for peace of mind smile

rockinhippy Fri 27-May-11 13:13:48

when CHECKED then too confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: